• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Experiences with new Prosonus Orch collection?

Share/Bookmark

Experiences with new Prosonus Orch collection?

I am considering the purchase of BFA\'s Prosonus Orchestral Collection (giga) and am interested in opinions from those who now own this new library. The demos I have heard from Donnie and others lead me to believe this is a very good orchestral starter library - especially in light of its pricing. In your opinion, what are its strengths and weaknesses? I presently own DDSS and UltimatePercussion.

Many thanks,

Craig

Re: Experiences with new Prosonus Orch collection?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csduke:
    I am considering the purchase of BFA\'s Prosonus Orchestral Collection (giga) and am interested in opinions from those who now own this new library. The demos I have heard from Donnie and others lead me to believe this is a very good orchestral starter library - especially in light of its pricing. In your opinion, what are its strengths and weaknesses? I presently own DDSS and UltimatePercussion.

Many thanks,

Craig
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Craig,

I bought the Prosonus Orchestral about 1 1/2 months ago, and it is my first library ever (I hadn\'t touched MIDI until 2 months ago).

My opinion of this library is that you can\'t get a better deal for a full orchestral library, and that the library is very useful.
    I don\'t have any experience with other libraries, so I can\'t compare. The weakest points in my opinion, however, are the solo Non Vibrato Violins and Violas(Nice that you have DDSS!)

The strings are better than I expected as a whole though, and there\'s a bunch of articulations enough to have your back covered in most situations.

The brass section is really nice, as is the woodwinds (Perhaps a little less so, but very nice non the less). Percussion is ok, but there\'s not too many choices in the timpani-drums area(Good you have Ultimate Percussion also)

One area where this library really excels is in FX (Brass, strings, and percussion). You can spend a whole evening just checking the FX in the GS window.

I must recommend this library to you, and I\'m very confident that you will be surprised at how good and usable it is!

To put things into perspective, this library is a remake from the original Prosonus library, commissioned to Donnie Christian by Big Fish Audio. The original library is very old, but very well recorded (In stereo, unlike the Vitous libs). I\'ve found a page on the Internet where Wendy Carlos (The Shinning) praised the strings of the original library (If this means anything to you)

I have some music that I created last month with it. It is exclusively Prosonus (All that I got at the moment )
    http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/ABMind.mp3 http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/Suspense.mp3

I\'ll upload one or two more files later today.

I know that dwdonehoo and zquarles amongst others also have this library, so maybe they could comment on it also.

Please, bear in mind that my mp3s are not representative of all that can be done with this library, because as I said earlier I\'m just a newbie with too little time at the moment

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Best Regards

I\'ve found a page on the Internet where Wendy Carlos (The Shinning) praised the strings of the original library (If this means anything to you)

Or: Walter Carlos (A Clockwork Orange) before the (gulp!) operation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    I\'ve found a page on the Internet where Wendy Carlos (The Shinning) praised the strings of the original library (If this means anything to you)

Or: Walter Carlos (A Clockwork Orange) before the (gulp!) operation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    HUH?????

Really? WOW, that\'s a first! Ouch...I think I need a glass of water.

Peace

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 03-25-2002).]

\"I know that dwdonehoo and zquarles amongst others also have this library, so maybe they could comment on it also.\"

Yes, the marcato alone is worth the price of admission. I use a number of instruments from this lib combined with others, like SAMS trumpets and timpani, AO, Roland, and CE. Some of my favorite Prosonus instruments are glockenspiel, tubular bells, marcato, lrgbrsnsf st, harp, CB and others. Listen to the marcato towards the end of my \"Bobs Wild Ride\" to see what I mean. Prosonus is all over that song. I really like this collection.

--------------
    Doyle W. Donehoo
    Radar Music
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusic.html
    http://www.mp3.com/Doyle_W_Donehoo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    I bought the Prosonus Orchestral about 1 1/2 months ago, and it is my first library ever (I hadn\'t touched MIDI until 2 months ago).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very nice work for a midi novice. Clearly though, you have been composing for quite some time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    My opinion of this library is that you can\'t get a better deal for a full orchestral library, and that the library is very useful.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for all the info. You have validated my suspensions about this library. I believe Prosonus is just what I am looking for.

I\'ve found a page on the Internet where
    Wendy Carlos (The Shinning) praised the strings of the original library (If this means anything to you)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am very familiar with Ms. Carlos - listeningwise anyway ;-) Whatever the gender(s), a real legend in -e music. Check this out \"Switched On Bach Box Set\" Apparently WC rerecorded SOB using Baroque period tuning in Dolby surround format.
    CDs also include all MIDI files! Pretty cool. http://www.noside.com/catalog/CatalogAlbum_01.asp?Album_ID=16
    http://www.wendycarlos.com

I have some music that I created last month with it. It is exclusively Prosonus (All that I got at the moment )
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice work. Right out of the box you say. Impressive! Very nice work.

I\'ll upload one or two more files later today.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Can\'t wait. Guess I\'ll get my order out today.

Thanks for the info MrArkadine.

Craig

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Yes, the marcato alone is worth the price of admission. I use a number of instruments from this lib combined with others, like SAMS trumpets and timpani, AO, Roland, and CE. Some of my favorite Prosonus instruments are glockenspiel, tubular bells, marcato, lrgbrsnsf st, harp, CB and others. Listen to the marcato towards the end of my \"Bobs Wild Ride\" to see what I mean. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In BWR do you mean the pick-up 3 eigth-note triplets 3 quarter-note figure at 4:05? I like it! Is this piece mostly realized with Prosonus?

Got to go - listening to the rest of your Mp3 music.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csduke:
    Nice work. Right out of the box you say. Impressive! Very nice work.

Thanks for the info MrArkadine.

Craig
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Craig,

Thanks for your kind words. Actually, the
    first piece is inspired by the soundtrack to A Beautiful Mind (\"Nash descends into Parcher\'s World\"), so don\'t give me credit for it. It\'s all strings (Orchestra Sus plus Orchestra Tremolo).

I just posted the first piece that I did (About 4 days after getting the Prosonus).
    It\'s called \"Dark Ages\", and you can download it at: http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/Hall1Bright.mp3

You\'ll be very happy to have the Prosonus as your first orchestral library, believe me!

You\'re welcome, and thanks for your comments as well, Craig.

And...Donnie, you need to give me a commission. A COMMISSION I TELL YA!

Best Regards

\"In BWR do you mean the pick-up 3 eigth-note triplets 3 quarter-note figure at 4:05? I like it! Is this piece mostly realized with Prosonus?\"

Actually, listen at the 3:15 mark for the best example: from there on out Prosonus marcato is used. About half of the instruments were Prosonus. About mid point I downloaded SAMs Trumpets and used them at the end there. Not hard to pick them out! Glad you liked it: yours is one of very few comments.

Just a quick response regarding Prosonus:
    I feel it is a great investment to fill in the holes for your current libraries. I also feel it is a great \"startup\" library. I really dig the FX, some of the brass swells (i\'m not a fan of the solo brass, though.) and the marcato strings.
    I think it compliments existing libraries very well too.

Go Back to forum