• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wanted: Bamboo Log Drum

Share/Bookmark

Wanted: Bamboo Log Drum

Hi,

I'm looking for a really great big band... <..er.. sorry, wrong thread...>

OK, what I'm looking for are samples of one of those big, honkin' bamboo log drum things that pacific islanders play. They look like big marimbas that escaped from Gilligan's Island but they aren't really 'pitched'. They sound more like a bass version of those annoying clacky wood chimes.... -very- resonant.

BigFish has a 'Roots Of Pacific' CD, but that's loops and I'm looking for one shots that I can trigger from a kit.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

---JC

Re: Wanted: Bamboo Log Drum

Hi Suntower,

You could look at Zero G's World Pack in .wav and Apple Loops. It is also available as a plug in called "Sounds of Polynesia"

http://www.timespace.com/product/SOP...Polynesia.html

That should have what you are looking for.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Herman Witkam had a free Nigerian log drum in his R.A.W. samples - I don't know if that has the same sound as those in the pacific islands, but it's a great sound in itself.

www.witkamsound.com
    David

Thanks very much. Sorry if this sounds ADD impatient or whatever but... HOW THE FRICK DOES ONE DOWNLOAD ANYTHING? I think I remember going there once before and being totally irritated by the site design. (Yeah, I know it's not designed for my personal benefit, but still...)

Any tips?

THANKS!

---JC
    Looking for instant gratification in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Herman Witkam had a free Nigerian log drum in his R.A.W. samples - I don't know if that has the same sound as those in the pacific islands, but it's a great sound in itself.

www.witkamsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    Thanks very much. Sorry if this sounds ADD impatient or whatever but... HOW THE FRICK DOES ONE DOWNLOAD ANYTHING? I think I remember going there once before and being totally irritated by the site design. (Yeah, I know it's not designed for my personal benefit, but still...)

Any tips?

THANKS!

---JC
    Looking for instant gratification in all walks of life.
    I've just been there - it does seem to have got more complicated. If you email Herman using the contact details on the home page, he'll give you a Username and password for the R.A.W pages. Then, on his home page, if you click on the RAW link at the top, the text over on the left hand side changes to be the license agreement for his samples. If you scroll down to the bottom of all that there is a login button. Convoluted, but his samples are great.
    David

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this is not the sound I'm looking for... way too pitched. But, yeah, I recall, a lot of his RAW stuff is -very- cool. Really 3-d. But I imported the Log Drum into K3 and flipped on 'Time Machine' and some really nice things happen when time stretched.

Double thanks.

What I'm -really- looking for is something I did years ago... We had all these 4" PVC pipes laying about from putting in drains and layed them down on a wood frame and made a plastic 'xylophone'. It wasn't pitched, but more like Cajons. I may end up doing that again, I guess. It's a very resonant sound, but not pitched.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I've just been there - it does seem to have got more complicated. If you email Herman using the contact details on the home page, he'll give you a Username and password for the R.A.W pages. Then, on his home page, if you click on the RAW link at the top, the text over on the left hand side changes to be the license agreement for his samples. If you scroll down to the bottom of all that there is a login button. Convoluted, but his samples are great.

Go Back to forum