• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opinions wanted on new purchase

Share/Bookmark

Opinions wanted on new purchase

Hey guys and gals,

I am getting some cash for my B'Day and am looking at the following instruments:

1) Vienna SE
    2) Appasionatta Strings 1
    3) Kirk Hunter Ruby
    4) Ethno World 4

I could also take advantage of the EW 2 for 1 sale and am thinking about RA and VOP or RA and SD2.

I own a ton of VST's already (but one can never have too many) Orchestral wise I have Gold Pro XP which is nice but I really would like better solo strings and especially portamento which Vienna seems to do very well. I also have Kontakt 3 which has some Vienna orchestral instruments. On the ethnic front I have Spiritual winds, Stormdrum1, Ethnoworld 2, and world winds plus some older EMU samples.

The music that I write is a blend of orchestra with world and rock. I want to get a quality lib and would rather get less quantity for more quality (I have spent a small fortune buying "quantity")

I'm leaning towards the Vienna SE package as it has solo strings and true portamento and I love the interface. Since I own a syncrosoft dongle for Cubase will I need to buy the Vienna Key or can I put the license on the Cubase dongle?

By the way my budget is $500. I know these kind of questions are lame as there are a ton of reasons to buy (or not buy) anything but you guys always have such good insight and there may be things I am not thinking of.

Thanks for any suggestions!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Opinions wanted on new purchase

You can only get VI SE standard edition for 500$ so make sure you reed the content of both the standard and the extended edition.

RA is an excellent library. The samples and programs are easy to use right out of the box and you may not even want to add reverb to the instruments.

The oud, duduks, and percussion instruments are excellent. All the instruments are very well recorded and consistent with each other. You can spend hours playing with the duduk samples.

It's one of the best purchases I have made.

Of course, it's mostly ethnic world stuff.

Marko

You have specified four libraries. Three of them come under the same classification, orchestral. Therefore I assume that is most important.

Get Vienna SE.

VSL is currently the only sample library that one could say was consistently excellent across the board. Even SE.

Ethno world has a lot more content and instruments than RA but.......
    RA is much deeper with what it covers. If you're in for the long haul and want to think quality (quantity doesn't work long term as you know)
    RA is better if you're going to want to highlight/solo individual instruments.

These decisions are always so damn hard aren't they?
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I would recommend you to look for Myriad Harmony Assistant.
    AlexBG

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
    I would recommend you to look for Myriad Harmony Assistant.
    AlexBG
    I'm sorry but i don't see what that has to do with the topic? Or maybe I'm missing something? And is that software any good? Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

I am getting some cash for my B'Day and am looking at the following instruments:

1) Vienna SE
    2) Appasionatta Strings 1
    3) Kirk Hunter Ruby
    4) Ethno World 4
    5) Buy Vienna SE for Wafflemaster

Thanks for any suggestions!

All the very best,

Darren
    I would choose Option 5.

afaict, storm drum 2 isn't part of the sale, only sd1.

I am a big fan of the sound of K.H.'s Ruby. Plus the instruments are very playable in real time.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks guys! I know this was all kind of vague (orchestral vs ethnic) but I sure appreciate the insight. Always tough when you can only pry a few dollars from the wife's hands each year. I think that's why I've always gone the quantity vs quality. Always seems more fun getting more boxes, but then you open them up and kick your self for not buying only one box, but the best box!

I am leaning towards the VSL SE purchase (for me not wafflemaster, although ya gotta admire his spunk! (see above))

Any other comments are still appreciated. I love the insight you guys have!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum