• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-wandering

Share/Bookmark

OT-wandering

Lately I followed some threads, beginning with an intriguing question or statement. How soon people wander off the subject. At the end the subject is completely different from the original statement. Sometimes hard to follow.

As an example: somebody told us about the grieve seeing his beloved one losing interest in life, and the dilemma being far away. Why commenting this with an advice to take some medicine?

The same with problems about samples, compositions... they wander off at an early stage to something completely different.

Just asking...

Raymond

Re: OT-wandering

Well, Raymond, that is the way conversations frequently develop. Only way to change it is to structure the conversation as a formal discussion, and that would be paralyzing.

Richard

We are composers... First we create a theme... then we start developing it... then we wander off with it to unknown regions...

Yudit

The cube of one of the guys at work is a source of conversation (we don't have a water cooler). It is amazing to hear the topics and the jumps in conversation that occur.

One day, they starting talking about the NBA (various teams and players), which moved to a generalization about gladiators, which then got them on the subject of Roman Empire history. I had to leave for about 5 minutes. When I came back, they were on the Titanic. How that thread moved in that direction, I'll never know.

It all reminds me of that great 70s show "Connections". James Burke would start with one simple subject, and by the end of the show I would scratch my head trying to remember the thread he used to get to the end. I loved that show.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by dsampson55 View Post

It all reminds me of that great 70s show "Connections". James Burke would start with one simple subject, and by the end of the show I would scratch my head trying to remember the thread he used to get to the end. I loved that show.

dave

I too enjoyed the show, although I only saw it on VCR or DVD. I think he did a good thing, even though he stretched a point now and then -- matter of emphasis, mostly. He left many unanswered questions, which was a good thing, because it made me search for the answers.

Richard

This thread is getting all together too ironic.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    This thread is getting all together too ironic.

Speaking of irony. . .

How many people actually iron their own clothes? Me? I haven't touched an iron in several years. My most loving wife doesn't iron either. I guess we don't mind wrinkled clothes. Anyone else? Anyone else not iron and doesn't mind wrinkled clothes??

Getting back on topic. . . LOL!

I've shared before that I used to do moderating for another bulletin board. For good or for bad (and with no apologies), the owner of that bulletin board (a HUGE and very successful nursing/healthcare focused bulletin board) ran a tight ship. One of our tasks was to ensure that postings were kept on topic. Threads that "strayed" were sometimes edited. Actually, they were split and a new topic started. This was usually done at the request of the person who started the thread.

Sometimes it's important to keep on topic within a bulletin board forum. Sometimes it's o.k. to stray. My personal opinion is that the originator of the thread (the person who starts the thread) should have a say to how "stray" a thread may wander off the original topic.

This is my one of my favorite bulletin boards. By in large, the community found here is friendly, respectful, supportive, informative and playful. These are somewhat rare qualites found on the internet. Most topics seem to remain on target during the "discussions". Sometimes not. That seems to be o.k. here which for me is quite cool.

Interesting topic. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum