• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO cymbal rolls

Share/Bookmark

GPO cymbal rolls

What is the best technique you have found to make fast cymbal rolls? It's maybe something I haven't discovered, but I only find a very long cymbal-roll that goes up and then down, but it's too long for fast crescendos. Then the other one that you can control with a modwheel sounds more like a piatta-roll than a cymbal.

How do you guys do it?

Re: GPO cymbal rolls

One technique that I have employed is to repeat the key on a cymbal hit rapidly, but really, it does not sound natural. Some of us have been suggesting a cymbal and percussion library that captures the nuances of techniques, such a slow crescendos, mallet rolls, etc.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Thanks for the tip! In the last thing I actually used some cymbal from Addictive Drums -drumkit.. Not too classical......

Yea this would be cool, this kind of library. But also, instead of sampling everything, I think Aria engine could create a cymbal instrument, that could be completely playable, since it now has convolution capabilities. Just add some expression pedal and mod wheel and you can have any rolls you want. I'd love that...

Maybe a tip: do you own the JABB. There is a cymbal.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    What is the best technique you have found to make fast cymbal rolls? It's maybe something I haven't discovered, but I only find a very long cymbal-roll that goes up and then down, but it's too long for fast crescendos. Then the other one that you can control with a modwheel sounds more like a piatta-roll than a cymbal.

How do you guys do it?
    Do you own GPO? I've never had an issue creating fast cymbal rolls with that, unless Im mis-understanding what it is you need...

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    Do you own GPO? I've never had an issue creating fast cymbal rolls with that, unless Im mis-understanding what it is you need...
    There is no fast cymbal roll in GPO--just various cymbal hits.

It would be nice for Garritan to provide an upgrade kit for GPO that includes a few missing needs. No reason to invent a whole new library. I for one can think of quite a few missing percussion toys that should be added.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Nothing is missing here - all the tools you need are there to create a huge variety of rolls. First of all, G#5 And A5 of both the Basic Orch Percussion and Cymbals are mod wheel controlled rolls. That means the user can construct a roll of any duration using mod wheel data - completely custom configurable. A5 adds a subtle release triggered hit not present on the G#5.

One can also use cc7 (when activated in the Options menu) to shape the crescendo roll on the A#5. The release of the roll needs to placed at the desired location and cc7 data drawn in to shape the duration of the roll prior to the release. The mod wheel option is usually easier. Both can be effective if done skillfully.

Tom

Thanks Tom.
    Raymond

I'll amend my last post by saying that if what you need is a selection of different mallets (and find that you can't achieve what you want through creative EQ) then you do indeed need to invest in a dedicated percussion library because such things go beyond the intended scope of GPO. Could more choices be added at some time in the future? Possibly, but that is undetermined. If you really need such things any time soon I would suggest buying a dedicated percussion library.

Tom

If someone wants to play and/or record his own Cymbal-Roll, faster or slower tempo, faster or slower fades in or out, feel free to download this instrument:

After downloading copy and paste it into your Percussion folder at your GPO library. (For example: GPO/GPO-Library/Instruments/Percussion)

The sound and volume is controlled via velocity and it is a round robin programmed instrument, keyrange is from C5 to F#5, ....for an easyer playing.

Please note that you can detune this and all the other percussion instruments by adjusting the "tune-knob" at the Kontakt-Player or Sampler, for more creativity!

Hope you enjoy!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum