• Register
  • Help

Topic: What exactly are the differences between Gigastudio and GVI?

Share/Bookmark

What exactly are the differences between Gigastudio and GVI?

I know GVI runs as a plugin, and each instance is only one bank of 16 channels, but you can run multiple instances. I know it runs in application memory rather than user memory. I know it doesn't have the instrument editor.

Are there any other difference? For various reasons I'm thinking GVI might suit the way my PC architecture is going better, but I don't want to get any nasty surprises after I buy it.

Thanks.

Re: What exactly are the differences between Gigastudio and GVI?

GVI = 1 port of 16 channels, tho you can run numerous GVI instances
    GS3 = 8 ports of 16 channels

GS3 = kernel level app, meaning its basically part of windows and hence has amazing benchmarking. Its also a stand alone app only
    GVI = hi level code which is generally used as VST plugin

GS3 = has ability to edit and create samples and sample scripting
    GVI = player only

GS3 = includes GigaPulse pro and ability to create instantiations of different rooms
    GVI = can play GigaPulse files created someplace else, no presets even available

GS3 = has RAM limit of roughly 1.5 gigs depending on your system
    GVI = has no RAM limitation only what your system can handle

GS3 = has routing to do some cool stuff with the program besides be a sample engine
    GVI = nada

Some that I can think of off the top of my head
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Thanks.

Does GVI respond to program changes? Can it have instruments loaded into RAM in advance, and then load them into the slots when their patch change number is sent to it, like Gigastudio?

wow I have been using GS since GS2.5 160 and I never knew you could do patch changes of stuff you have loaded lol. I am going to have to check that out. I guess with 8 ports of 16 channels I never loaded it fully before RAM gave out and GS said NOOOOO MOREEEE
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Well there you go!

But if you could also check out whether GVI can do it and let me know, I'd be grateful.

Will GVI work with Sibelius the same way it works with GS, concerning program changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts View Post
    Well there you go!

But if you could also check out whether GVI can do it and let me know, I'd be grateful.
    well if it takes the same amount of memory why not just open another GVI instantiation?
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Ouch

I am not understanding why you want to use program changes. Won't keyswitching do the job you need done? You can stack a lot of instruments , articulations, etc. under one instrument.
    Willing to learn - what is the difference?
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Go Back to forum