• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where to install virtual instruments

Share/Bookmark

Where to install virtual instruments

I just built a new pc with 2 hard drives.
    1 80gig sata for winxp
    1 500 gig sata for sample libraries.

I've always in the past loaded instruments like Atmosphere and Trilogy in the C drive under vst.

Is there anything wrong with installing them onto the non os drive, I'm sure I'd have to copy the .dll file though to the vst folder, right?

Thanks
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Re: Where to install virtual instruments

Hi Chalfant,

You may consider adding one more hard drive and use it for audio files/ use tha 500GB for samples only and the OS for applications. This allows you to disconnect the second and third drives if you have to re-do the OS disk while retaining the audio files and instruments as they are. You can also make a recovery disk image of your C drive as a backup when all the applications and settings decide to play as you like it.

Just a thought to consider.

best,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Sure, a third drive would be the finest solution ; but at this moment and as Trilogy and Atmosphere does not use streaming (samples are loaded in RAM), you can install them on the drive you want. More, with the SPECTRA MOVE utility, it will be possible for you to seamless move their respective library part to another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha View Post
    Hi Chalfant,

You may consider adding one more hard drive and use it for audio files/ use tha 500GB for samples only and the OS for applications. This allows you to disconnect the second and third drives if you have to re-do the OS disk while retaining the audio files and instruments as they are. You can also make a recovery disk image of your C drive as a backup when all the applications and settings decide to play as you like it.

Just a thought to consider.

best,
    tony h
    Hey there Tony!
    Thanks for your input, I am going to get another drive this weekend, it's just that sometimes certain things like being on the system drive and wasn't sure how big a deal it was with Atmosphere, always had it on C:
    Going to try and put it on my second drive tonight.

P.S. Going to GC tomorrow to check out a couple audio cards, be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by philaudiomicro View Post
    Sure, a third drive would be the finest solution ; but at this moment and as Trilogy and Atmosphere does not use streaming (samples are loaded in RAM), you can install them on the drive you want. More, with the SPECTRA MOVE utility, it will be possible for you to seamless move their respective library part to another one.
    Yeah, I'm going to put them on the larger seperate drive see how it goes, sure it will be ok. Thanks for your input!

Go Back to forum