• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strings to blend with SI strings?

Share/Bookmark

Strings to blend with SI strings?

Hi all,

I use SI strings mostly but would like some other strings to blend with them for a bigger sound.

I have Kirk Hunter Emerald and GPO as well but I find neither works well for blending with SI.

As Giga is my main sampler I am looking at Giga options first but considering others too. The only Giga option still available these days besides SI is Miroslav Vitous from ilio.com.. The string demos of that don't sound too bad but it's hard to judge from the demos how well it would blend with the SI strings, plus it's older and only 16 bits.

VSL Vienna Instruments would be a second option, appasionata or the like. I like the sound of the Appasionata strings overall but worried that blending them with SI would result in a string section that sounds "too big", and alternating Appasionata with SI may sound like two different orchestras.

I'd buy GOS in a heartbeat if it was still sold.. the demos of that sound pretty great. (I know GOS2 is eventually coming out but it's a lot less attractive an option to me because it's not Giga)

Any suggestions?

Re: Strings to blend with SI strings?

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    VSL Vienna Instruments would be a second option, appasionata or the like. I like the sound of the Appasionata strings overall but worried that blending them with SI would result in a string section that sounds "too big", and alternating Appasionata with SI may sound like two different orchestras.
    I have never used the SI strings, but I own Appassionata Strings, and have been very pleased with them.
    I am not sure how well they would mix with SI, but they definitely have the BIG appassionata sound.

I sometimes mix them with EWQLSO Strings a little and have been moderatley pleased with the results. The trick is getting the reverb to match.
    Here are some samples of pieces I did with VSL and a little EW.
    http://www.northernsounds.net/member..._focus_101.php
    http://www.northernsounds.net/member..._focus_106.php
    http://www.northernsounds.net/member..._focus_170.php
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

If you want to blend it for a bigger sound then "Appasionata" would be the way to go imho.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin View Post
    I sometimes mix them with EWQLSO Strings a little and have been moderatley pleased with the results. The trick is getting the reverb to match.
    Ben

Your tracks sound great, are you able to outline how you mix the strings and match the reverb?

Aer

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen View Post
    If you want to blend it for a bigger sound then "Appasionata" would be the way to go imho.
    Do you have SI and App? I was wanting to use SI blended with something for the non divisi parts and when it goes into divisi to use SI alone.. if the "something" sounds too different from SI it may sound weird when it goes to the divisi passages and the sound changes so much is my concern there.

Go Back to forum