• Register
  • Help

Topic: Smoothing out the pitch of samples

Share/Bookmark

Smoothing out the pitch of samples

Anyone have a recommendation for smoothing out the pitch of individual woodwind and brass samples without degrading the audio? It would not need to keep the overall length of the file the same, but should get the pitch smack on target throughout the length of the sample.

I know Melodyne can do this, but it substantially changes the character of the audio, as do any real-time "autotune'' type programs.

I can pitch-shift with a program like Sound Forge with less effect on the audio, but it can only pitch-shift the entire note up or down; it can't do that kind of surgical pitch-shifting of only the portions of the note that are sharp or flat.

thanks,
    Arch

Re: Smoothing out the pitch of samples

Hi Arch,
    I know this is somewhat different than a plugin that you are probably referring to, but I use Digital Performer's built in pitch correction tools. I can very accurately manipulate any part of a note. It's pretty cool and I use it all the time. I use it to draw in portamento in various sampled instruments, because it sounds better than midi pitch-bending.

Here's a tune by Dave Grusin, it is the theme from a movie called "The Champ".

The french horn's portamento was done with this DP pitch correction.

Dan

does it give you some kind of graphical representation of which portions of an individual note are sharp and flat? and then an option to bring them closer, or all the way, to the center? And it does this in the classical way, ie, by speeding or slowing just that portion of the note?

and no degradation of the audio?

thanks
    Arch

Dan,

Actually, I'm not on a Mac and DP is Mac-only, right?

Nice clip, by the way, including the french horns.

regards,
    Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

I know Melodyne can do this, but it substantially changes the character of the audio, as do any real-time "autotune'' type programs.
    I don't own Melodyne yet, but I was under the impression that, if you fiddle with the formants, as well as the fundamental, it supposed to be by far the most transparent pitch correction out there. I do own Sound Forge, which I think has awful pitch shifting algorithms.

I can pitch-shift with a program like Sound Forge with less effect on the audio, but it can only pitch-shift the entire note up or down; it can't do that kind of surgical pitch-shifting of only the portions of the note that are sharp or flat.
    Sound Forge does have the pitch-bend function, as well as pitch-shift, which allows you to graphically redraw the pitch of a sample, with as many breakpoints as you like. But it doesn't have any auto-detection, so finding the part of the sample that needs smoothing, and getting the curve right is a bit of a pig.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for smoothing out the pitch of individual woodwind and brass samples without degrading the audio? It would not need to keep the overall length of the file the same, but should get the pitch smack on target throughout the length of the sample.

thanks,
    Arch
    Have you actually tried Melodyne? I think that it is the best program for doing this sort of thing.

D

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've tried Melodyne and feel that it substantially alters the note, especially its attack, because it's doing more than just adjust pitch, its putting the note through an algorhythm that's preparing for potentially drastic changes in pitch. It's important to note that I'm talking about very small pitch shifts here, maybe sometimes as small as 10 to 20 cents. For these amounts of pitch shift, i've found SoundForge to be much more transparent than Melodyne. But there's no way to pitch-shift only the parts of the note that need it. You can try to estimate, and draw curves with the pitch-bend function, but I've never gotten satisfactory results with that.

Arch, you are correct, DP is Mac only.

DP does show the root pitch with the vibrato
    being the dark blue line inside the "pitch segment.

Here is a link to a post where I show DP's pitch automation...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...70&postcount=2

Melodyne is a pretty phenominal plugin.
    I am surprised you were not able to get
    extremely satisfactory results without artifacts.

So far, DP's pitch correction is all I need to fix
    anything that bothers me.

Dan

Go Back to forum