• Register
  • Help

Topic: Parody - by the great Johnny Brooks

Share/Bookmark

Parody - by the great Johnny Brooks

I have been working on and off with this piece for just over a year. It is an extended work of 14 parts. This is the first part, Supplication. I plan to finish up the last part, Benediction, soon, and I will put it on the Forum, also.

This work was 'lost' for many years and was only recently re-discovered. I know of 3 CDs that have been made of this, but all of them use female soloists. It is widely held that the original productions of this piece used boy soloists. I have used boys' voices in this rendition.

I have been waiting for some 'technical' assistance with this piece, but it has been extremely slow in coming, so I just forged ahead in my own "ham-fisted" way and completed it. If the more 'professionally produced' parts ever arrive, then, at least, I will have something to compare them to. Also, you folks can offer your opinions about what you think of it, and, hopefully, be able to suggest improvements.

This piece uses 2 violins (plus 2 additional violins for tutti passages), a viola, cello and double bass. There is also an organ accompaniment (I used the Flutes stop), and a harpsichord doubling of the organ in certain of the parts in the whole piece - the first and last being parts that use the harpsichord. I used the harpsichord's coupled stop for tutti passages, its single manual stop for 'non-tutti' passages, and the buff stop for when the soloists are singing.

The voices are from SpectraSonics' Symphony of Voices. The final part also employs a choir (I am having a choir director/college professor help with the voicing of the choir since it was not outlined in the score, but alluded to in other manuscripts). Those voices will also come from Symphony of Voices.

This may very well be the very first MIDI rendition of this work. I am particularly interested in feedback about how it comes across and any improvements you think can be made. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frank

http://www.box.net/shared/c5mxacao0g
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Re: Parody - by the great Johnny Brooks

Impressively beautiful. The rendering is clean and professional. I honestly can't suggest an improvement. Wonderful work!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Frank, lovely job on this; by all means, get ye off
    to reality with a human choir if you can do it -- this
    will play quite, quite well in performance.

The one area I might suggest consideration - and
    it could be the rendering and balances and so on -
    is that the supporting players might be a little
    thin... perhaps enriching them with a little more
    fullness would benefit the work.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, I thought that this thread was long dead and buried (page 4 or so?).

Thanx for the kind words, Michael.

David -
    Considering that this section of the whole piece was written for 2, solo voices (boys, at that), 5 strings (with an additional 2 violins for just a few measures), organ and harpsichord, I don't know that a full choir would be appropriate.

Researchers have suggested that 2 of the sections might very well have had a small choir in addition to the 2 soloists, with the same instrumentation.

By "thin" or "fullness", do you mean that a little Chorus might be added, or a little more Reverb? Can you please be a little more specific in your suggestion? I would appreciate it very much.

Any comments about the "realization" of the organ part or harpsichord ornamentation? - Anyone?

Thanx for listening to it and for the comment.

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Go Back to forum