• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL-Special Edition Question

Share/Bookmark

VSL-Special Edition Question

How does the "VSL Special Edition" strings/Woodwinds/Brass instruments sound compare to the full versions (ie. Strings I & II, Brass I & II, ..etc.) from a pure "quality" of sound, "dynamics", "playability", "expressiveness", ....etc. point of view. I'm trying to evaluate the "quality" of the instruments rather than "quantity", since it is obvious that the full versions have quite a bit more articulations to offer.

The reason I'm asking this question is because the VSL-SE instruments have less velocity layers per instrument, (ie. VSL SE Strings are only two velocity layers, when compared to the full versions, and the VSL-SE instruments are not sampled every half step, but rather every whole step, so there is quite a few compromises as far as the quality is concerned, which I feel is quite an important factor, for example, I find it quite limiting to have two velocity layers for complex and very expressive orchestral sounds such as strings.

Looking at VSL-SE from a pure value for your money perspective, it is definitely a very tempting package, but again, I'm concerned about the quality factor, which does play a big role as far as my needs are concerned. I could consider the purchase (maybe at a slower pace) of some of the VSL full versions, instead of VSL-SE, which will cost me quite a bit more than VSL-SE, but without sacrificing quality.

Any feedback or opinions on this topic would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Re: VSL-Special Edition Question

It really depends on you. If you want value, SE - no question.

If you want total quality - get the real deal.

On the topic of only 2 velocity layers, If youre going to be doing Velocity crossfading, I and others find that LESS sounds BETTER. The reason is, theres only 1 sample transition, and its much less noticeable, whereas with 4, you can REALLY hear the transitions, and sounds quite lame. If youre not using Velocity crossfading, then dont worry about it.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
    The reason I'm asking this question is because the VSL-SE instruments have less velocity layers per instrument, (ie. VSL SE Strings are only two velocity layers
    Are you sure there are no articulations with more than two velocity layers? Don't at least staccato and pizzicato have more velocity layers?

He's right. Only 2. And only 2 alternations.

And no Perf-repetition.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

People have been making incredible mockups with less than that - I wouldn't be too concerned that you're sacrificing "quality". The key to expressive orchestral mockups is automation and proper voicing, IMO.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa View Post
    People have been making incredible mockups with less than that - I wouldn't be too concerned that you're sacrificing "quality". The key to expressive orchestral mockups is automation and proper voicing, IMO.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I have carefully listened to all the VSL-SE audio demos on the VSL site, and I'm sorry to say that the quality of the strings in all of the demos is not very convincing, and have not impressed me.

The woodwinds, and brass, sound much better than the string, but again they do lack the details needed to have them sound more realistic, when they are exposed.

Sorry, but the VSL-SE strings sound very sterile, they lack a lot of the depth, color of timbre, and dynamics, when compared to real strings, hence, they lack a lot of realism to my ears.

IMO, VSL-SE is much better suited for a rough sketching of an orchestral project.

stac - 4 layers
    sus - 3 layers
    pizz - 2 layers
    perf legato - 2 layers+porta
    SE has same patches as Full Strings, just not all articulations.

VSL has the best strings in sample world, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Head View Post
    stac - 4 layers
    sus - 3 layers
    pizz - 2 layers
    Any idea how many velocity levels for the full set. Is it 4 for all articulations?
    Thanks,

Joel
    www.joeldouek.com

"Show me your Pasodoble!"

Quote Originally Posted by Max Head View Post
    stac - 4 layers
    sus - 3 layers
    pizz - 2 layers

VSL has the best strings in sample world, for now.
    Are you 100% sure about this info ?

There is another important difference...

VSL Special edition is sampled chromatically in "whole-step" intervals, the full versions are sampled in "half- Step" intervals, so they are not exactly the same. (Actually you are losing half the content right there !)

Are there any additional VSL-SE audio demos that better demonstrate and expose the strings ? I just don't like the sound of the VSL-SE strings in the VSL-SE demos. (sorry, but maybe it's my taste... ).

Go Back to forum