• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray", an amazing new musical by Randy Bowser

Share/Bookmark

"Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray", an amazing new musical by Randy Bowser

I've discovered where Randy has been lately.

This past weekend, Marianne and I had the good pleasure to attend the world premiere of "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray", a new musical by Randy Bowser. This has got to be one of the best musicals I have experienced!

When we arrived in Salem, Oregon it was exciting to see posters for Randy's musical in the various shop windows in downtown. Before the show we met Randy, his partner Kate and Michael Butler, the original producer of "Hair" on Broadway.

The award-winning Pentacle Theatre is a unique and intimate theatre nestled in the woods just outside Salem and has been providing quality live theater for more than 50 years. I was pleasantly surprised to meet one of our members fastlane (Phil) before the show.

The theatre was filled to capacity as the sold-out crowd eagerly awaited. A spotlight shone upon Randy on the stage as he gave a gracious introduction.

"Dorian: The Remarkable Mr. Gray" is an original adaptation of Oscar Wilde's novel: "The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's about a young man given to a life of partying and excess. As years go on, the young man does not age, but his portrait ages and becomes more and more hideous. For the portrait, Randy used video projections which showed the portraits morphing into progressive versions of dis-ease an decay - reflecting the worsening state of Dorian Gray's soul.

Randy's been writing this musical for over 20 years. He had a part of everything in the production. Randy wrote the entire musical (or more accurately the libretto) , composed the music, wrote the lyrics, arranged and did all the orchestrations, recorded and engineered the soundtrack, created the mask, did the morphing visual imagery - oh.. and he directed it. I am in awe of the music - intricate and covering a wide range of styles. The melodies,counter-melodies, dual melodies, and harmonies were intriguing. And the singers were first-rate and up to the task of this advanced and intricate score.

I instantly recognized many of the songs having heard them first on this forum. Randy told me how he appreciated all the advice many of the forum members had given him.

The audience responded well and the show closed to a standing ovation!

Randy's talent knows no bounds. You have to be a gifted genius to pull this off and Randy proved he certainly is one.

The musical runs for the next few weeks, until May 10th. This is a must see and I urge anyone that can to experience Randy's musical "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray".

Still in awe ,

Gary Garritan

PS: I'l post some pictures soon.

Re: "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray", an amazing new musical by Randy Bowser

Thanks Gary!

I just posted a question asking if anyone had seen it - I was so curious to know how it had gone, and your post came along at the same time!

I am so frustrated I had to return to Australia without seeing this - I was in San Jose last week - I left on the night of the seventeenth, arriving back on the nineteenth - didn't get an eighteenth.

Re: "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray", an amazing new musical by Randy Bowser

Thanks Gary for the information on Randy and the musical. Congratulations to Randy of course. What an accomplishment he has achieved! I'm sure he is on the road to greater things with his creation. And what a continually enjoyable and surprising place this forum is! I am in awe, John

Bravo, Randy!

Multitudinous congratulations on the premier!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Huge congratulations Randy. Standing ovation here.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Sincere congratulations, Mr. Randy. Here's to continued success!

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I'm glad to hear it went so well Randy! Hopefully it will make it somewhere over here on the East Coast!!!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Joining in, Randy, with the congratulations, applausing and admiration!!!

Yudit

Thanks for the review Gary – I was wondering how things were going with the Remarkable Mr. Bowser and his new musical. Good to hear the premier went well.

Congrats Randy! Here’s hoping word gets out and we will see a Broadway opening sometime in the not too distant future.
    Trent P. McDonald

Congratulations, Randy!!!! I wish I could have been there......
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum