• Register
  • Help

Topic: 64bit audio interface

Share/Bookmark

64bit audio interface

I've recently built a future-proof PC that I intend to run Gigastudio 4 on in 64bit mode. I currently have it dual-booting with 32 and 64bit OS' and have recently been preparing XP64 for GS4. The problem I'm running into is that the 1010lt inside the machine doesn't seem to have decent 64bit support. I have installed the beta drivers but get no audio-output (input seems to work fine, though). I've read that output fails on machines with >2gb memory and so believe the fact that I maxed out the ram may be causing this. Obviously pointless removing everything but 2gb as I may as well just stick with XP32 :|

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 64bit audio interface that has GSIF 2.0 support (in 64bit mode)? I'm looking for something not too expensive hopefully (~$300 max) that people have had good experience with. Also, something from a reputable hardware company that keeps their drivers up-to-date would be a plus.

Re: 64bit audio interface

That would be GSIF 2.1.

The only card I know of is from RME. ($$$$) The Tascam FW series also supports GSIF 2.1.

Rewire might work from a 64-bit DAW, but I'm not sure.

M-Audio is slow to the 64-bit game. I'd like to see Echo Audio come out with a GSIF 2.1 driver for the MIA.

Doh, looks like it's 32bit GS4 for now until GSIF 2.1 is supported by a larger range of audio interfaces.

I use an M-Audio 2496 on XP64. The 64bits driver is not perfect but it's doing ok with Cubase4 and K2.

I am assuming it should work with GS4 on XP64 since it is GSIF 2.0 compatible!?!?

I think I will push my luck and see how it works with GS4/XP64...
    (I am not expecting too much though)
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

That's a big assumption. Just because they implemented GSIF 2.0 (32-bits) doesn't mean that they wrote a GSIF 2.1 (64-bit) driver.

But we can hope! Give it a try, and let us know the results!

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    I use an M-Audio 2496 on XP64. The 64bits driver is not perfect but it's doing ok with Cubase4 and K2.

I am assuming it should work with GS4 on XP64 since it is GSIF 2.0 compatible!?!?

I think I will push my luck and see how it works with GS4/XP64...
    (I am not expecting too much though)
    Does the driver work well? How much memory does your XP64 machine have? >2gb? Are you using the public beta drivers or the private ones? Mine installs ok and I can hear routed audio through it (e.g., hook up something to WavIn 1/2, hook up headphones to WavOut 1/2, player sound on external device and hear it through headphones.) However, I can't play any sounds from the PC and hear them. MP3s, Cubase, etc. provide no output audio and the mixer bars don't move

I am using the public beta drivers. They work well beside an issue with multi-client ASIO operations. Since I use CS4 with 2 instances of Kontakt, I must use the M-Audio Delta ASIO driver (6ms latency) and 2 instances of the ASIO DirectX Full-Duplex driver (46ms latency).

If I don't start start the applications in a specific order, the driver sometimes crash and I have to restart all applications. Beside that, it works fine. I have 6GB in the machine.

For your audio problem, I sounds more like a windows config problem than a driver problem. Are you sure Windows routes audio properly? Have a look in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. In the Audio Panel, be sure that Sound Playback is configured to M-Audio Delta AP 1/2. Also, click on the Volume button and be sure your volume is at max value.

Finally, in the M-Audio mixer config, in the Patchbay Panel, I select the Monitor mixer as output.

I hope it helps.
    Nic
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

I think it is worth a try with the M-Audio 2496 on XP64.

From Tascam website:
    For 32-bit systems, GSIF can be any version; for 64-bit systems, or
    to do audio recording with 32- or 64-bit systems, the GSIF drivers must be v2.00 or higher.

M-Audio 2496 is GSIF 2 compliant. Just hope that the XP64 version of the driver has been properly translated...
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

The beta drivers from their website didn't seem to work (despite my audio-output issues). I installed GS4 and tried to start it - it didn't recognise a GSIF compatible device and started in REWIRE mode.

Go Back to forum