• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Removing Ambient Noise From Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Removing Ambient Noise From Samples?

Hi,

I've been recently going nuts recording some home-made samples. One issue I constantly run into is... how do I remove the 'background radiation'?

And by 'background radiation', I mean the ambient noise of the world at large. I'm not talking about acute things like cars, planes, etc. But you know what I mean... the 'rumbling noise' that just seems to be a part of the great outdoors... even with no wind... it's just -there-.

I mean the sound is even in your house or office (if it's not totally treated). It's amazing how our ears naturally filter this out.

How is this removed for use in broadcasts or when taking field recordings into the studio?

Thanks!

---JC

Re: Removing Ambient Noise From Samples?

I usually use Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction 2, which I believe is now packaged with Sound Forge. Absolutely stunning for noises that are more or less constant - hums, buzzes, whirrings etc. You do need your samples to have a short section that is just noise in order to analyse what needs removing.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I usually use Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction 2, which I believe is now packaged with Sound Forge. Absolutely stunning for noises that are more or less constant - hums, buzzes, whirrings etc. You do need your samples to have a short section that is just noise in order to analyse what needs removing.
    Thanks, that sounds like a -great- place to start. It reminds me of those 'noise cancelling' headphones. I can easily create a 'room tone' for the places I record.

---JC

I watched a web seminar conducted by Craig Anderton that showed him removing various noises using the "Spectrum" editing mode in Soundforge, Audition and Wavelab. It was really amazing to see him "draw" out the breaths between the guitarplayers notes to clean things up some.

Spectral editing is an amazing tool.
    I use the Express FX noise reduction plug ins that came with Vegas as well as the good old faithful Cool Edit Pro Reduce noise tools.

One new comer to noise reduction is iZotope's RX.
    The demo is amazing and you can see it leverages a lot of spectral editing and modifying to reduce noise and also to interpolate missing audio sections.
    Simeon Amburgey
    Sound Creations, Inc.
    Louisville, KY
    www.soundcreationsinc.com

It is good idea to check "Noise Removers".
    General noise removing won't work as it makes the sample sounds different too.
    There are tools in which you can create a noise profile before you remove it.

I use to record silence for a short duration, which I would use as a noise profile. That "silence" could be removed by defining it as a profile.

I hope you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    Hi,

I've been recently going nuts recording some home-made samples. One issue I constantly run into is... how do I remove the 'background radiation'?

And by 'background radiation', I mean the ambient noise of the world at large. I'm not talking about acute things like cars, planes, etc. But you know what I mean... the 'rumbling noise' that just seems to be a part of the great outdoors... even with no wind... it's just -there-.

I mean the sound is even in your house or office (if it's not totally treated). It's amazing how our ears naturally filter this out.

How is this removed for use in broadcasts or when taking field recordings into the studio?

Thanks!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by gsalvadi View Post
    It is good idea to check "Noise Removers".
    General noise removing won't work as it makes the sample sounds different too.
    There are tools in which you can create a noise profile before you remove it.

I use to record silence for a short duration, which I would use as a noise profile. That "silence" could be removed by defining it as a profile.

I hope you got it.
    Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction 2 works using a noise profile - you still have to be careful though. You still get given control over how 'deeply' this profile is applied, and you can still overdo it and change the quality of the sample itself. I generally use the preview feature in Sound Forge to listen repeatedly to the sample, and move the noise reduction up and down until I find a 'threshold' where the noise is acceptable one side, and not the other. Then I don't try moving it any further.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreations View Post
    I watched a web seminar conducted by Craig Anderton that showed him removing various noises using the "Spectrum" editing mode in Soundforge, Audition and Wavelab. It was really amazing to see him "draw" out the breaths between the guitarplayers notes to clean things up some.

I use the Express FX noise reduction plug ins that came with Vegas as well as the good old faithful Cool Edit Pro Reduce noise tools.

One new comer to noise reduction is iZotope's RX.
    The demo is amazing and you can see it leverages a lot of spectral editing and modifying to reduce noise and also to interpolate missing audio sections.
    Do you remember where this web seminar is posted (that is, if it's still available for public viewing)? It sounds like something really interesting....

For Rumble, I'd start by appplying a judicious Hi-Pass filter, center freq dependant on the instrument/sound source. Adjust to taste, and use sparingly - or not at all if that's what your gut tells you.

Another great analyzer/noise reduction plug is Voxengo's Redunoise. It also analyses the "silence", and applies its findings to the recording, with lots of flexibility and user input. Great plug.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreations View Post

Ditto what people are saying re: HPFilter and Sonic Foundry's NR2. The latter being very useful, providing you have a 'slice' of just the noise you want to limit or remove.
    To avoid artifacts use it sparingly, or combine it with Adobe Auditions Spectrum edit mode. This is really amazing as you can cut or attenuate whole chunks out of the sound spectra without causing any clicks. Sound Forge CANNOT do this (not sure why Soundcreations states that it can above)
    Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love to be wrong as it's the only thing missing from SoundForge IMHO!
    -----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamawake View Post
    Do you remember where this web seminar is posted (that is, if it's still available for public viewing)? It sounds like something really interesting....
    http://storefront.theplatform.com/Ge...t0CuPLb3ElKoFJ

When You get there click on the "Webcast" Tab.
    Simeon Amburgey
    Sound Creations, Inc.
    Louisville, KY
    www.soundcreationsinc.com

Go Back to forum