• Register
  • Help

Topic: best way to record onsite

Share/Bookmark

best way to record onsite

Guys,

I hear alot of ou have our own \"custom\" samples. How are you making these samples onsite. Are you using something like a portable dat or even a minidisc ? Are these high enough quality to get the job done in a remote location? Also what microphone would you recommend to use for something like this. Thanks....

Re: best way to record onsite

I thought I\'d bump this one up...I\'d be interested in the equipment people use \"in the field\".
    Personally I use a SM57 with a Sony TCD-D8 portable Dat for field recording...this isn\'t for Giga stuff, just sound design.

I use a Sharp MS722 minidisc recorder and a pair of Sound Professionals (www.soundprofessionals.com) premium cardoid microphones connected to a 9v power supply so I can use the line in instead of the mic in. I get very high quality results.

-- Martin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mschiff:
    I use a Sharp MS722 minidisc recorder and a pair of Sound Professionals (www.soundprofessionals.com) premium cardoid microphones connected to a 9v power supply so I can use the line in instead of the mic in. I get very high quality results.

-- Martin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin, mind if I ask which mics from Sound Professionals?
    Thanks.

Tascam DA-1 portable DAT recorder is nice for field work IMO. It has phantom power and XLR connections so if you want you can plug a condenser mic right in. 16-bit 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Ofcourse it\'s much more expensive than the mentioned minidisc recorder, but then again a DAT recorder doesn\'t throw away 4/5 (or what was the percentage?) of your audio material for compression and coding reasons. The DA-1 is used a lot in field audio recording, like to record cows and bulls to use as dinosaurs back in the studio

Try www.tascam.com

I\'ve recently been using a bulkier setup. My Sony Vaio laptop with the Echo Mona laptop interface. Still very portable if you have power available. Four mic/line/guitar inputs with phantom power, six outputs, S/PDIF and ADAT...pretty cool. I am running Logic 5 on the laptop so it\'s the same interface as my main studio setup. It\'s a nice setup if you already have a decent laptop.

Currently I am using Crown\'s CM700 mics for stereo recording, live recording. The preamps are pretty nice in the Mona. Not using it for sampling instruments, yet.

[This message has been edited by jubal (edited 04-02-2002).]

Dreamawake,

I use the Audio Technica AT853 mikes with the cardoid capsule, and the SP 9 volt power supply.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum