• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Steinway, 2 1/2 New Preludes

Share/Bookmark

New Steinway, 2 1/2 New Preludes

I just bought the Steinway and made two and a half new preludes to celebrate:

Prelude 9 in Ab Major
    Prelude 10 in f minor
    Prelude 11 in Bb Major

I know, looks like 3 to you, so where does the half come from?

Prelude 10 was previously posted as “Remembrance”. I transposed it down a fifth (transposing up sounded awful) and was able to use all of the una corda that I had written into the score.

Preludes 9 and 11 are very simple, 1 theme, ideas, but they were written to fit into the set – I want, as far as possible for each prelude to act as, well, a prelude for the next one. I want them all logically connected.

Here are the preludes to this point. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-Gb-eb-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major
    8 – Prelude in eb minor
    9 -Prelude in Ab Major
    10 - Prelude in f minor
    11 - Prelude in Bb Major

13 – Prelude in Eb
    14 – Prelude in c minor

Note - Other than #s 9, 10 and 11 all Preludes are rendered with the GPO Steinway.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: New Steinway, 2 1/2 New Preludes

Trent! You got it! So pleased to hear.

Nice work on these -- especially the Bb, liked that one a great deal.

One assumes all of the Trent Preludes will be refitted on the
    new G.Steinway?

Looking forward to it.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Trent! You got it! So pleased to hear.

Nice work on these -- especially the Bb, liked that one a great deal.

One assumes all of the Trent Preludes will be refitted on the
    new G.Steinway?

Looking forward to it.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David,

I couldn’t resist any more so I decided to go for broke, or, if not broke at least a little more debt. And yes, eventually all of the preludes will be re-done with the new Steinway. Maybe my 2 piano sonatas as well.

A little while back I headed these preludes into some dark territory so I decided it was time to head back. When the Bb one starts you are supposed to say, oh no, not more augmented fifths! But then it gets light and , I hope, fun. I don’t think I have ever written anything so rapidly and was a little worried about it at first. Now it’s one of my favorites as well.

Thanks for listening and your comments
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent

I also enjoyed the Bb one. I love Augmented 5ths almost as much as Augmented 4ths.

Nice to see you return to your circle!

Great work as always

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Trent

I also enjoyed the Bb one. I love Augmented 5ths almost as much as Augmented 4ths.

Nice to see you return to your circle!

Great work as always

Ron
    Gee Ron, listening to your music I’m surprised you like any dissonant interval – you stay so diatonic and so consonant. Actually, the Ab Major and f minor feature quite a few augmented intervals (the f minor is about 75% augmented or diminished chords), but there is something about the Bb one that is, I guess “fun” is a good way to say it.

Thanks for listening and your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

Great to see you up and running with Authorized Steinway. Sweet instrument, isn't it?

#9 has a lot of substance. I can hear an orchestration of this. Some nice harmony here, too.

#10 is very emotional. I hear shades of Beethoven in this. And, I've always been partial to f minor, lol. And Beethoven, lol.

#11 is quite nifty. I could say it needs expansion but I think the appeal actually, is it's brevity.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx View Post
    Trent,

Great to see you up and running with Authorized Steinway. Sweet instrument, isn't it?

#9 has a lot of substance. I can hear an orchestration of this. Some nice harmony here, too.

#10 is very emotional. I hear shades of Beethoven in this. And, I've always been partial to f minor, lol. And Beethoven, lol.

#11 is quite nifty. I could say it needs expansion but I think the appeal actually, is it's brevity.

Bill
    Hi Bill. Yes, it’s a great instrument. I’ve enjoyed listening to all of your posts with it.

Thanks for your thoughts on the new preludes. When I wrote #10 (f minor) Beethoven was the last thing on my mind (I was thinking more of some of the really dark late Liszt pieces), but listening to it again with Beethoven in mind I can see maybe some of his influence came out.
    Trent P. McDonald

Nice exploration of different textures. I agree that #11 works well at its current length.

I enjoyed listening to the breadth of sounds you coaxed out of that wonderful instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Nice exploration of different textures. I agree that #11 works well at its current length.

I enjoyed listening to the breadth of sounds you coaxed out of that wonderful instrument.
    Hi Owen. Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum