• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What controller ? ( Yamaha ? )

Share/Bookmark

What controller ? ( Yamaha ? )

Hi guys, I am trying to find a controller. I am using PianoTeq with my very old ( 11 years or so ) yamaha clavinova. The clavinova is really bad, some keys produce sound when they want... some don't .

This is my story, I tried the Kawai MP8 II, what do you guys want me to say. I hated the keys, they felt kinda light ( not as heavy as my current clavinova )

So, damn, I am stuck , because this guys aren't importing the mp8 ( not II ) anymore , ( those keys where really great ).

Now I will have to go and check yamaha clavinovas, maybe they are good , I don't know , here they have the following models .

Yamaha CLP-230
    Yamaha CVP-301

I just need decent ( better than the crappy MP8 II ) key action, any input on this models ? They feature " Yamaha Grand Hammer 3 action Keys"

I don't know how's that , but well , as I said, input appreciated

Re: What controller ? ( Yamaha ? )

the new rolands have great action, and also a fake ivory-ish material that feels really great to touch.

I have a Yamaha p-250, and feel it's a little heavy compared to any other real pianos I've played, but that's probably due to the lack of escapement.

Quote Originally Posted by kensuguro View Post
    the new rolands have great action, and also a fake ivory-ish material that feels really great to touch.

I have a Yamaha p-250, and feel it's a little heavy compared to any other real pianos I've played, but that's probably due to the lack of escapement.

Hi there, I will check the new rolands out if I can ( not sure if they are available here in chile at a decent price ).

What do you mean when you say , "its probably due to the lack of escapement " ?

Sorry english is not my foreign language so if you could please explain me

Thanks!

Finally found it! . The old MP8 is not available anymore, but they have a Digital Piano from Kawai that has the same keys as the MP8, the Kawai CA7, and GOD, I tested them side to side today at the store and , WOW, I'm glad I took my Mp8 II back , this is AMAZING, and I am not planning to move the piano anywhere, so this is really perfect for me , I am happy

Thanks for your help.

BTW: I tested the new Yamahas, and I didin't like them at all.

Hi:

I think you've made a wise choice. The MP8 is a great piano. I don't have the MP8 but I have its predacessor the MP9500, which is pretty much the same. Escapement is the retraction of the hammer once it strikes the string. This retraction or 'escapement' add a different feel to the real piano touch and release. I know that the MP9500 does not have this and I am not sure how good this mechanism has been incorporated into some of the other Digital pianos with escapement. I know that the high end yamahas are suppose to have it, but I really do not like the feel of yamahas. IMO I think the yamahas are really lagging behind roland and Kawai's.

I also like the feel of the Roland fp7, but I would like to see how it would compare to the new Roland 700GX which has the Ivory feel keys with escapement to see if its really worth the extra price. For now I am really happy with the Kawai. Like you, I don't do gigs and no need to carry it around, it is heavy and built like a tank. Also, I only use it as a piano controller, as I do not like the onboard sounds.

Another little surprise believe it or not is the Casio PX200, I just recently got one just for the heck of it, after trying it out at GC and it was only $430. Even thought it could not be compared to a roland or a kawai, the action is suprisingly good for a piano. But It has too much bounch back and unrealistic release tension, but over all feal is actually quite good, and the onboard piano sounds are actually usable. I would take this over most yamahas. I know its a matter of personal taste, but again its just my opinion.

Dd

I also have a Casio PX200, and also bought a Casio PX 120 (newer model) at GC a few weeks ago. The Casio PX 120 and PX 320 feel even better than the PX 200. They both have a very firm and solid action, with less bounce. I would definitely recommend the PX 320, or 120 just for the action.

Tom

This is actually very interesting to hear ( about Casio ) , the models you mention could be great virtual piano controllers for someone in a budget. I was in a budget since in chile the Roland RD700GX is like 4.000 dollars :S ( taxes and stuff screw the price A LOT ).

It would be great if other people could post their thoughts here too

The most heavy actions I played were Yamaha. Buy one of P-series and be happy!

Has anyone played the new KX88(is it now just KX8?)? The price and features look good. But the feel?Anyone?

I did some google research and at least the price is exellent ( KX8 ) , but haven't tried it.

Go Back to forum