• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

Share/Bookmark

A Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

An online poll conducted in the '90s set Vitaly Komar, Alex Melamid and David Soldier on a quest to create the most annoying song ever. After gathering data about people's least favorite music and lyrical subjects, they did the unthinkable: they combined them into a single monstrosity, specifically engineered to sound unpleasant to the maximum percentage of listeners. The song is not new, but it recently resurfaced on Dial "M" for Musicology.

Amazingly, this "most unwanted music" contains little dissonance -- that would have been too easy. For the most part, they seem to have tried to assemble these elements in a listenable way.

Komar & Melamid and David Soldier's list of undesirable elements included holiday music, bagpipes, pipe organ, a children's chorus and the concept of children in general (really?), Wal-Mart, cowboys, political jingoism, George Stephanopoulos, Coca Cola, bossanova synths, banjo ferocity, harp glissandos, oompah-ing tubas and much, much more. It's actually a fascinating listen, worthwhile for the opera rapping alone.

And here it is

Let's have a straw poll of what you think is the most annoying song ever (and push up the post count, 200,000th post looming!)

Re: A Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

And how dare they mention banjos!

I've a feeling there was already a thread for this one, although it may have been over in 'Sample Libraries Discussion.'
    David

I kinda liked it - it had everything one could wish for - harps, banjos, accordion, tubas and divas.

There was something even more annoying that came from this forum. It was "Disco Bagpipes" by Darwin - which won the "Worst Demo Ever" contest. I think it's about time we do another "Worst Demo Ever" contest?

Are you up for it?

Gary

Shouldn't the most annoying include singing chipmunks?

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Shouldn't the most annoying include singing chipmunks?
    I freely admit to liking the chipmunk songs!

Richard

I thought this had already been achieved with "It's a Small World"...?

I didn't find it THAT bad... Definitely not the worst in the world. But the repeating WalMart-commercial with the child choir WAS seriously pushing the limits.

anybody who uses a child choir should be locked up, preferably with the choir (singing -is that what they call it)

Tony - surely not bagpipes the noo? some mistake there !

Talking Re: A Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever

I may get shot for this, but my vote goes to Stravinsky's "Les Noces" for the most annoying work!

Go Back to forum