• Register
  • Help

Topic: continuous pedal

Share/Bookmark

continuous pedal

My pedal doesn't work as a continuous pedal, so I need to insert the data by hand.

Can any of you who uses a continuous pedal (unlike the cc64 on/off), tell me to which cc it records?

Thanks,

Yudit

Re: continuous pedal

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    My pedal doesn't work as a continuous pedal, so I need to insert the data by hand.

Can any of you who uses a continuous pedal (unlike the cc64 on/off), tell me to which cc it records?

Thanks,

Yudit
    It's still CC64, it's just values inbetween 0 and 127. A non-continuous pedal will only send 0 (pedal up) or 127 (pedal down).

tfishbein82, allow me to unofficially, but sincerely congratulate you on being such a helpful and accurate member of this community. I was ready to help Yudit out with this question when I saw that you had already answered her perfectly.

Get it, Yudit? Just go in there and draw in any level of cc64 that you want, and you'll have the results you want.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Get it, Yudit? Just go in there and draw in any level of cc64 that you want, and you'll have the results you want.

Randy B.
    Randy, I tried to do draw in exactly that, but it doesn't sound any different from the regular on/off drawing... ???

Yudit

Hi, Yudit

There are many kinds of continuous controls which respond on a scale from 0 to 127--like cc1, cc11 and cc 7. Cc64 is most often used as an intermittent control, either off or on (up or down).

I notice now that actually you didn't say what instrument(s) you're trying to use this with--What I had in mind was the new Garritan Steinway, because that piano respond to all degrees of cc64, "half pedaling" so subtle changes in how sustained the notes are can be achieved. Many instruments don't respond to half pedaling though.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I notice now that actually you didn't say what instrument(s) you're trying to use this with--What I had in mind was the new Garritan Steinway, because that piano respond to all degrees of cc64, "half pedaling" so subtle changes in how sustained the notes are can be achieved. Many instruments don't respond to half pedaling though.
    I wanted to use it for the GPO Steinway. It doesn't seem to respond. I have tried it yesterday with the harp and it responds. I'd also like to know if it works with the Steinway lite and the Steinway jazz.
    Of course my dream is to own the new GAS...

Yudit

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    I wanted to use it for the GPO Steinway. It doesn't seem to respond. I have tried it yesterday with the harp and it responds. I'd also like to know if it works with the Steinway lite and the Steinway jazz.
    Of course my dream is to own the new GAS...

Yudit
    It's not typical for digital instruments to respond to sustain, cc64, as a continuous controller. That's why standard sustain pedals are off/on.

GPO and JABB's pianos don't respond to anything but full off or full on. So--that's why you're not hearing a difference. Those pianos know only "don't sustain" or "sustain."

It's a great feature in the new Garritan Steinway that you can have the sustain half on, for instance, and get a nice subtle difference in the sound between that and full on.

A pedal that is continuous instead of off/on can be routed to control any MIDI controller--The same as wheels on a keyboard. It's just a different way of applying the data--with your foot instead of your hand.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum