• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there a way to ...

Share/Bookmark

Is there a way to ...

I'm brand new to GPO, and love the sounds!

My question regards changing the vibrato on some of the wind and string instruments. I would like to lessen the severity of the solo flute vibrato, for instance, and also speed it up a bit. As it is, it calls attention to itself a little too much, in my opinion.

Is the vibrato contained in the sample itself, or is there a way to alter it within the Kontakt Player, using some kind of LFO control, or some other way ... ?

Thanks for helping a complete newbie!

Best to all,
    Michael

Re: Is there a way to ...

Hi Michael -

I see that you're a new member to this bulletin board. I want to say "Hello and Welcome!" I think that you'll find that this bulletin board is generally a friendly, supportive and informative place to visit.

I know that for many of the instruments in GPO, it is possible to control the vibrato. CC#17, if I remember correctly, controls the speed of the vibrato. Aftertouch (or CC#131) controls the amount (if I remember correctly).

If you're referring to the Solo Flute instrument, I believe that there exists keyswitches where one activates the vibrato flute sound and the other activates the No Vibrato sound. Please check the manual, though. It does a pretty decent job of explaining how to control the sound if each class of instruments.

Good luck.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStrickland View Post
    I'm brand new to GPO, and love the sounds!

My question regards changing the vibrato on some of the wind and string instruments. I would like to lessen the severity of the solo flute vibrato, for instance, and also speed it up a bit. As it is, it calls attention to itself a little too much, in my opinion.

Is the vibrato contained in the sample itself, or is there a way to alter it within the Kontakt Player, using some kind of LFO control, or some other way ... ?

Thanks for helping a complete newbie!

Best to all,
    Michael
    Well, after reading more of the manual, and doing some experimentation, I think I have found that only those instruments which are not typically heard with vibrato can have vibrato added, sped up, slowed down, and its intensity changed. Otherwise, we're stuck with the overbearing operatic-style vibrato I am hearing on the flutes, for example.

This is a big disappointment to me -- BUT I am still searching, and hope that my understanding of this is incorrect. If anyone wants to enlighten me, I am ALL EARS. heh

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStrickland View Post
    Well, after reading more of the manual, and doing some experimentation, I think I have found that only those instruments which are not typically heard with vibrato can have vibrato added, sped up, slowed down, and its intensity changed. Otherwise, we're stuck with the overbearing operatic-style vibrato I am hearing on the flutes, for example.

This is a big disappointment to me -- BUT I am still searching, and hope that my understanding of this is incorrect. If anyone wants to enlighten me, I am ALL EARS. heh

Michael
    Not entirely true.

You cannot affect vibrato on solo strings.

But you can on some winds and brass. Brass instruments marked "Solo" and Wind instruments marked "NV" can have vibrato added as Ted described.

Ted,

Thanks much for the warm welcome! :-)

In searching the GPO manual for "no vibrato," in hopes that there is indeed a switch that will make the solo flute into a no-vibrato instrument, where the #17 and #133 controllers could then be used to control the vibrato's speed and intensity, I find the following:

"Keyswitch Assignments for the Woodwinds Keyswitch patches:
    "There are only two keyswitch patches in the woodwind library, the flute and piccolo flute. This allows the user to switch between the natural vibrato and non-vibrato choices of these instruments on the
    fly. These keyswitches are as follows:

"C(8ve) = Vibrato
    "D(8ve) = Non-vibrato
    "E(8ve) = Flutter

"(8ve) represents the octave (always below the range of the instrument).
    NOTE: The keyswitch assignments will vary depending on instrument.."

I REALLY appreciate you pointing this out! Thanks!

Do I understand correctly that hitting the D note below the instrument range will turn vibrato off and allow me to control the speed and intensity of it with #17 and #133? I am going to go try this now! If I am not successful, I will be back directly! LOL

Best,
    Michael

This forum is awesome! I am grateful.

I got the needed control over vibrato using C17 and C131 on an "NV" instrument, but I'm still trying to get a "Solo" instrument to respond to the key-switches listed in the manual ...

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Also, it says to look for more info on Woodwinds at www.garritan.com, but so far I haven't been able to find that section. Any hints there as well?

Bless you all! :-)
    Michael

OK, finally the light goes ON! lol

The instruments marked "KS" have the keyswitches!

Duuh! :-) I LOVE the expressiveness you can give these instruments!

Thanks for all your very helpful responses!
    Michael

Micheal,

First things first.....welcome.

It sounds like the big picture part of your question was answered, but another trick some employ here for flute passages is to use the alto flute. They feel it blends into mixes better, etc. So that's something else you can experiment with.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum