• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway suggested keyboards?

Share/Bookmark

Steinway suggested keyboards?

The manual for the Authorized Steinway refers to the website for suggestions of suitable keyboards for use with it.

Am I just not looking properly, or haven't they got there yet??

Does anyone have a personal recommendation of something with weighted keys, and available in the UK?

Re: Steinway suggested keyboards?

I don't know if they are sold in the UK, but, to me, the best
    weighted keyboards are the Yamaha KZ8 and the CME 88-note
    model.

Make sure you try one before you purchase. It's like buying a
    car--they all look great until your drive them.

Cheers,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

If you want a more realistic touché I would strongly suggest steering away from midi controllers, and towards digital pianos, pianolas, etc.

I have a Casio PX 110, which is rubbish as a midi control, but the feeling I get from the keyboard is tons better anything else I've tried! Of course I've heard a rumour about extremely bad servicing, but until something does go wrong... But honestly, it just feels like a real piano, heavy, different weight accross the keyboard, etc.

Thumbs up Re: Steinway suggested keyboards?

I have an antique Roland A-80 MIDI controller, and it feels good to my touch. Heavy too, ~ 80 lbs!

Hi, I am also using an old Roland A-90 controller and I am very pleased with it. I have recently been working with the Authorized Steinway and I am having great results with my setup. Unfortunately, these have been out of production for some time. Maybe a search would turn one up?
    The recent business association between Roland and Cakewalk may lead to the develop of a controller more suited to the software/MIDI crowd.
    There are many posts on the question of weighted keyboards in the Piano Forum. Here is a link to one of them:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ard+controller

Good luck with this, John (bigears)

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    If you want a more realistic touché I would strongly suggest steering away from midi controllers, and towards digital pianos, pianolas, etc.
    I'm starting to think that way too. I had my Roland electric piano in my studio, and it felt great. The problem was the lack of a modwheel, and inputs for other controllers - no way to do cc11 in real-time for instance. So I moved it out and bought a CME UF88.

And that's fine for strings, brass, etc. But it doesn't feel like it could take a pounding. I'm seriously considering moving my piano back in for playing the Steinway. The only problem I can see is that I don't think the pedals on most electric pianos do proportional pedalling - fairly sure they're just switches.
    David

I really like the feel of my M- Audio axiom for a midi keyboard its very good imho. I bought from the recommendations of others because of its feel. I tried some others while shopping and for the most part they felt flimsy and cheap.

As a midi it really does have all the bells and whistles. Pads,zones , mod and pitch ect.

For those keyboards without pedals or digital keyboards that won't send continuous controller numbers, the CME GPP-3 is really very nice. Great sturdy build, USB, MIDI, or standard cables to your keyboard. I have mine running thru the USB to the computer, where it interacts with the GUI of your software. I got mine for $99. John

You might want to consider the Fatar StudioLogic SL-990 (Pro/XL). It gets excellent reviews. Not enough controls? Run the Fatar through a Behringer BCF2000 (or something similar).

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Somehow I'd managed to miss the fact that Yamaha do something suitable. Definitely a make I trust - my acoustic piano's one, and the SY85 synth I've had for some years just keeps on playing while other keyboards get sticky notes, etc. So I think I'll take a close look at the KX8 as soon as I get the chance!

Go Back to forum