• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Advice needed -notation program

Share/Bookmark

Advice needed -notation program

Right now I am using Overture (for XP) and applied the latest updates. I must divide the orchestral score into parts, - some of the parts need cue notes/-lines. There is a feature in OV. to do this (Hide/Show staves), but the result -after telling the system that some staves are cue notes - , is really a mess. I already spent more than 12 hrs to get a decent output. Now I am fed up with this buggy program.

How are you guys doing that? In Overture? Or should Finale be a better choice? I've seen some Finale scores (etLux? not sure about it) and they look pretty neat to me. How is that mechanism of making parts with extra cue staves?

I think I should have purchased Finale in the first place, but enlighten me, please..........

Raymond

Re: Advice needed -notation program

Although I still have Overture on my system I prefer Finale when I need notation. Their updates seem to make making music more intuitive and regular good prices for updates.
    Good luck 'ol bean!
    Styxx

Raymond,

My only experience is with Finale. I would say it can do everything you need with relative ease, although I'd have to see an example of what you mean by "cue lines" to be certain. There's a plug-in to handle cue notes so that part is easy.

Steve Winkler

I also support Finale. I've owned it since 2006, and didn't actually have to upgrade until 2008, when I needed to because I got a new Mac running Leopard. Finale has done exactly what I've needed it to do, prints beautifully, and the human playback feature can produce some of the most realistic playback through GPO (I'll be entering a piece played back through Finale HP in the 17th orchestration challenge coming up).

I haven't tried any other programs, but I haven't really needed to. I'm sure Sibelius is great, and it would be good to hear from a Sibelius user so you can make the best choice for your needs. Both programs are highly lauded and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Good luck and may God bless you!

As I think is already well-known on this forum, I am a Finale user for the last 15 years, since Finale 3. At that time, playback was a joke.

As far as playback is concerned, Finale didn't come into its own until Finale 2005. And then just blossomed with Finale 2008.

HumanPlayback, Robert Piéchaud's playback plugin, is just brilliant. It takes a bit of time to get used to at first, and some of the controls are a tiny bit arcane, but the end results are well worth the effort.

As I keep repeating ad nauseam, playback in Finale requires careful notation. It also requires the occassional "tweak" with an invisible articulation or expression. I get all of my results without ever touching the MIDI tool (one of Finale's most difficult to use tools). Everything I get is purely from the application of slurs, articulations and dynamics.

Finale is my go-to app-of-choice for all things notation. Once you get acquainted with it, it can be made to do about anything you want, notation-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Raymond,

My only experience is with Finale. I would say it can do everything you need with relative ease, although I'd have to see an example of what you mean by "cue lines" to be certain. There's a plug-in to handle cue notes so that part is easy.

Steve Winkler
    Cue lines, you know, that stave with those little notes of another, preferably leading voice, to synchronize to the part to be studied, e.g. flutes playing along with cued-violins. In other words, to make life easier for the flute player.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Cue lines, you know, that stave with those little notes of another, preferably leading voice, to synchronize to the part to be studied, e.g. flutes playing along with cued-violins. In other words, to make life easier for the flute player.

Raymond
    I think I understand and yes it is possible. In fact I haven't encountered anything that isn't possible with Finale. Granted some things require several actions to notate, but as qcCowboy has pointed out, Finale has come a long way since I've been using it (3.2).

Steve

I'll lob my usual pitch for Sibelius - but Finale is also a great program. Either way, you can do what you want.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Raymond,

As you don't need to see the cue line in the score (as a cue), try extracting a part that contains both the instrument and the cue part as a duet. Simply reduce the size of the cue part only to say 70%. Hide the reduced cue line on each system of the part where it is not needed. Then do the final adjustments to the part to make it presentable.

Go Back to forum