• Register
  • Help

Topic: inconsistent play and automation with GPO

Share/Bookmark

inconsistent play and automation with GPO

Hi everyone,

I'm using GPO/Kontakt Player as a VST in Tracktion 3. Until I got the full version of GPO yesterday, I never had any of the problems I'm experiencing today.

Does anyone know ...

1. Why would the piano continue to ring when I hit stop? (sustain pedal remains down)

2. Why would some GPO instruments sometimes play and sometimes NOT play at all?

3. Why would Tracktion's Automation (programmed mixing) suddenly also stop working entirely?

I thought maybe this was related to making sure midi notes and controllers were turned off when play is stopped. So I made sure this option is checked in Tracktion. But when I stop play, the piano notes continue to ring, as if the sustain pedal was NOT turned off at STOP. I do not know for sure, but I strongly suspect that these three problems are related.

It could be a coincidence ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael

Re: inconsistent play and automation with GPO

I'm not a user of Traction, but I might have a few ideas. Is traction fully updated to the latest version? Is GPO KP2 fully updated (2.2.4)? What are your system specs? Is your computer under a high load?

OK, I solved the automation problem, but not the inconsistent instrument playing. (I had inadvertently turned automation off. Doh!)

I also learned that GPO/KP does not respect mini-note-and-controller-off messages sent from Tracktion. This is why the piano keeps ringing after I hit stop, if the sustain pedal controller is down at that point. (I wish it did follow stop messages; all other VST's here do.)

My only real remaining problem is the inconsistent play of certain GPO instruments. The two offending instruments are: (1) Violins 1 Tremolo, and (2) Cellos Tremolo. The first time I play the piece, they are there, and after that, they are NOT there. The workaround so far is to REPLACE these two instruments in the KP every time they stop playing. This is getting to be very time-consuming and tedious. (I've probably replaced them 75-80 times since yesterday.)

I am wondering if the failure of the GPO instruments to follow controller- and note-stop messages from the host has anything to do with the inconsistent play of these two instruments.

Any insight would be gratefully received. :-)

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    I'm not a user of Traction, but I might have a few ideas. Is traction fully updated to the latest version? Is GPO KP2 fully updated (2.2.4)? What are your system specs? Is your computer under a high load?
    Thank you for your response! :-)

Yes, I am using the latest versions of both Tracktion (3.0.4.8) and KP2 (2.2.4). This Tracktion edit (so far) is not taxing the CPU much at all, so I don't think that is the problem here. When it does become a problem for the CPU, I will just render some of the tracks, alleviating the stress on the CPU, but I am far from that point right now. These two instruments have been cutting out on the second play of this edit since about 45-minutes into this project yesterday, when there were only four tracks and four instruments.

The computer is an AMD Athlon (~2.6 Mhz), 2 GB ram, running XP-SP2. Someday soon I will upgrade to a 64-bit multi-core, since Tracktion addresses multiple processors by dividing up tracks to the processors. I sincerely don't think system resources are the problem here (there is an accurate CPU-meter in Tracktion, which is remaining below 30% at this point). But I really don't know why this problem is happening.

Best,
    Michael

I wonder if it's a disk problem. I've got a strange problem in Finale where the only sample I have loaded is piano. I'd hold down a chord and it would cut off before I lifted my hand off of the keyboard or some notes wouldn't play at all. I brought up the K2 player gui, played a chord and noticed the disk meter in the upper right corner going red.

My solution was to copy the library to my E:\ drive which is a SATA drive on a different disk controller. Might be worth looking at the K2 interface while you're playing notes to see what the CPU and disk activity is like.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum