• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dawn Wind Dance

Share/Bookmark

Dawn Wind Dance

This is an octet, four woodwinds (flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon) and four strings (violin, viola, cello and double bass). The instruments are all GPO. The title is just a suggestion as to the mood of the piece. I didn't, and don't, have a definite scene in mind.

The structure is roughly A', B, C, A, (A+B+C). It started as C, then to C, A to B, C, A then A, B, C, A. The last composing was to revise the introduction, add a finale where several motives play together and smooth out the transitions between the sections. The B section is taken from part of an earlier clarinet/viola duet.

One of the ideas in this piece was to pair off woodwinds and strings and have them move in fourths/fifths especially in the C section. Standard harmony is mostly avoided.

The percussive "thumps" are from double bass pizzicato fifths and fourths, sometimes with the viola doing the same.

There is a certain "overture" feel to the piece in the way it is structured.

The mp3 is here (new version with improved reverb)
    Last edited by Euler; 04-23-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: new version uploaded with improved reverb

Re: Dawn Wind Dance

Well strutcured and well written, Euler; an interesting
    and engaging piece.

And the rendering is well balanced, as well. But this
    suffers for lack of "room". Euler, may I suggest you
    apply some reverb to this. I did so here, locally,
    and I must say -- it's quite a good listen once you
    get it into a concert hall!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Herb

This may be the best I have heard from you. It has been a while though, and my brain is ready to burst due to too many math problems.

Lately, I have been studying a ton of Euler's proofs, and I am just about sick of him.

Foir those reading this, I am talking about a different Euler. The one I am talking about lived a long time ago.

I do agree with David (Etlux). I also think this one could use a bit more space to it. If you use the KP2 player, there are a number of options that you could use to give this a bit more room to breathe in.

Other than that, I also think it is well written with some really cool runs in it.

Glad to see you back after the bad times.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Well strutcured and well written, Euler; an interesting
    and engaging piece.

And the rendering is well balanced, as well. But this
    suffers for lack of "room". Euler, may I suggest you
    apply some reverb to this. I did so here, locally,
    and I must say -- it's quite a good listen once you
    get it into a concert hall!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David

Thanks for the comments. This piece seemed to develop well if in a somewhat irregular pattern.

Reverb - yikes! - thanks even more for your PMs on this topic. I will post am updated version with the players in a bigger room once I am fairly happy with the sound.

Regards, Herb

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Herb

This may be the best I have heard from you. It has been a while though, and my brain is ready to burst due to too many math problems.

I do agree with David (Etlux). I also think this one could use a bit more space to it. If you use the KP2 player, there are a number of options that you could use to give this a bit more room to breathe in.

Other than that, I also think it is well written with some really cool runs in it.

Ron
    Ron,

Some of the ideas behind this are inspired by your style of composing in avoiding thirds and sixths in favour of fourths and fifths. I suspect you noticed this .

I am quite happy with this piece. It took a long time before a satisfactory ending combining the themes came to me.

I hope your math study is going well and you can get back to some relaxing composing soon.

As I said above, I will be replacing this "dry" version with a version with improved reverb in a larger room.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Certainly a successful piece, with some nice full textures pulled from the octet as well as some effectively sparse ones. As already mentioned, just a touch of intimate reverb would add a nice sheen to an already well-balanced and ear-pleasing rendering.

Although you mention an "irregular" pattern, it does hold together quite well with the interspersed driving rhythms along with the more laconic sections. I did notice some "rolifer influence" in there! Not a bad choice at all to borrow some ideas from.

Thanks for sharing, euler. Much enjoyed here.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Hi Herb,

Certainly a successful piece, with some nice full textures pulled from the octet as well as some effectively sparse ones. As already mentioned, just a touch of intimate reverb would add a nice sheen to an already well-balanced and ear-pleasing rendering.

Although you mention an "irregular" pattern, it does hold together quite well with the interspersed driving rhythms along with the more laconic sections. I did notice some "rolifer influence" in there! Not a bad choice at all to borrow some ideas from.

Thanks for sharing, euler. Much enjoyed here.

Danny
    Hi Danny,

Thanks for your comments - yes, I was aiming at exploring some interesting textures.

Bowing to the consensus, a new version with more and a more spacious reverb has replaced the old. Probably not as much reverb as some would like but too much blurs the separate parts in the final section.

Herb

Herb

This version works so much better!!
    Well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Herb

This version works so much better!!
    Well done

Ron
    Ron,

Thanks.

Yes, I agree that it is better. I forgot to optimize the reverb - again . etLux uses SIR but this is a Mac only product so I can't use it.

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    Ron,

Thanks.

Yes, I agree that it is better. I forgot to optimize the reverb - again . etLux uses SIR but this is a Mac only product so I can't use it.

Herb
    Christian Knufinke's (free) SIR is for Windows:
    http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

However, I simply used that because it was
    handy. Ambience likewise yields fine results,
    and I frequently use that in renderings.
    There are many others, as well, of course.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast