• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Newbie - Please Advise

Share/Bookmark

Cool Newbie - Please Advise

Hello All!

I am completely new to all of this and had a few questions.

Besides Garritan Personal Orchestra is there anything that you would need to create decent sounded mp3's? Other software or anything? I think I also want to get Reason at some point, but want to start out using GPO, is that possible?

I create ambient/meditation/new age style music on piano usually, and I want to expand. I'm attracted to the GPO because I love the sound that I hear from the different samples and demo's.

I appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks,
    Tony

Re: Newbie - Please Advise

Hi Tony,
    WELCOME to this great forum!

GPO is a great small investment, and even if you buy other libraries, you will always come back to GPO for many things.
    Because of it's design, it will allow you to make "mockups" of your music very quickly, and if you take the time to do some editing, the results can be extremely satisfying.

In the event that you do purchase a Garritan library or two, you will definately want to "hang out" on the Garritan portion of this forum.
    It can be found here

Dan

Yes, welcome. To be clear, GPO is a sample library and if you want to create MIDI compositions with it, you'll need a sequencing program such as Cakewalk or Cubase (on PC) or Logic or Digital Performer on the Mac. You can roughly equate the two pieces of software as Word Processor (Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.) and Font library (GPO). Are you at all familiar with the world of MIDI - keyboards, interfaces, etc.? Forgive all the questions, but you did state that you're completely new to all this, and there might be more to "all this" than you're currently aware of. It certainly can grow on you in a big hurry.

So, having said all that, ask away and we'll do our best to get you pointed in the right direction.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

good advice Paul...
    Dan

Thank you Dan and Paul for the welcome.

Paul, my MIDI experience consists of playing MIDI keyboards for several years, but not really going to much further than using the synth sounds and connecting them to Finale for musical notation.

A few years ago I made some "tracks" to accompany a theatre production, using 2004 Finale. They actually turned out pretty well...converted them to .wav files so they could be used for live performance.

That's the extent of my current understanding and experience of all of this!

I greatly appreciate the assistance!

~Tony

OK. So, is it safe to assume that you have a working keyboard/computer MIDI setup, then, and are comfortable using it? If so, then it would appear that all you would need to do is to get GPO and set it up in Finale as a source of sounds to be used for playback. Unfortunately, in this case, I'm not a Finale user (I'm on Sibelius) so I don't know the specifics of how to set up GPO within Finale, but that should be covered in the Help section of Finale since that is a major feature of the program (using VST instruments). I think Finale also has the ability to render your composition to a wav and/or an mp3 file so you should be good to go at that point. Create your composition, edit the Human Playback features within Finale to suit your taste, and then render to final file.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Wow, that'll be a lot easier than I thought!

Now, what would I need to do if I was not using Finale?? (Curious)

Thanks,
    Tony

You'd need to buy a sequencing program, as I mentioned previously, and go from there. You would enter your notes into the sequencer, either by playing them in from your MIDI keyboard (preferable if you have decent keyboard technique) or by entering them manually, insert GPO as a soft synth (the different programs have different methods for doing this, but they're generally the same), and then route the appropriate tracks to GPO with the appropriate instruments loaded in. After you've completed writing and editing your composition, you would then render to an audio file, like in Finale.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

I should mention that I think you're going to have to upgrade to Finale 2008 if you go that route. The earlier versions don't support VST instruments and audio rendering.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

As others have already said, what you need is a sequencer. May I suggest Reaper as a budget alternative?

http://www.reaper.fm/
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Go Back to forum