• Register
  • Help

Topic: A common rhythm I've noticed.

Share/Bookmark

A common rhythm I've noticed.

A number of you may have noticed this already, but it seems that having three quarter notes in between two eighth notes is quite common, used a lot by Mozart, and occasionally by John Williams (mostly in the brass). A notable example of this is Mozart's 25th Symphony, it's used throughout most of the first movement, not in the brass though, but in the strings, despite being a rather awkward rhythm to play.

Re: A common rhythm I've noticed.

I wasn't aware it was used in popular music. Anyone know if Peter Gabriel (that's what the pg stands for in my username btw) has used this rhythm?

I can't think of any by PG, but the following oldies jump to mind:

The Letter
    Love Her Madly

at least in the rhythm section.

Another common one in pop/rock has to be 2 dotted quarters followed by a single quarter note. It sets the kick after the snare on the on the first snare shot and with it on the second.

I'm not sure what the last part meant, but thanks for the examples!

What exactly do you mean by three quarter noter between two eighth notes?
    Oh, now I get it. You mean a syncopated accompaniment figure in 4/4 right?

Quote Originally Posted by pgfan92 View Post
    A number of you may have noticed this already, but it seems that having three quarter notes in between two eighth notes is quite common, used a lot by Mozart, and occasionally by John Williams (mostly in the brass). A notable example of this is Mozart's 25th Symphony, it's used throughout most of the first movement, not in the brass though, but in the strings, despite being a rather awkward rhythm to play.

Precisely, only that's just one form of syncopation, however, in the symphony I mentioned, this rhythm is in the main melody and the harmony's rhythm is rather straight forward.

Go Back to forum