• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony No. 1 - 1st Movement - "Fire Breathing Kittens" [by Adam Floro]

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Symphony No. 1 - 1st Movement - "Fire Breathing Kittens" [by Adam Floro]

http://www.northernsounds.net

Re: Symphony No. 1 - 1st Movement - "Fire Breathing Kittens" [by Adam Floro]

Adam, there's a lot to like about your symphonic movement. Perhaps the best part is the movement between the dramatic and the peaceful, at least relatively peaceful. The transitions are good.

It seems that the movement is structured like a sonata allegro where you state the dramatic theme for a minute, then the more lyrical part in the violins and you repeat verbatum and then proceed to some development.

I just listened to the first 7 minutes. I thought that it could really use a third theme or motif for it became somewhat repetitive. I also thought that the excellent sound of the timpani accenting the drama was then used too much. Too much of a good thing. One might have eliminated the timpani at spots and used a brass choir for the same accents.

The themes were well made and developed well. But they could have developed better and a few more types of modulatoin could have helped as well.

These are nice dramatic sounds. the title doesn't do it justice.

David

It is in sonata allegro form, and perhaps I could extend the development because I want it to have a backbone in simplicity. Or perhaps I could remove the exposition repeat to make it more concise rather than hammering the theme into the listener's skull. The concept of the CD I will be including it on is I'm asking some friends what their favorite instruments are, and I'll be showcasing those instruments without writing concertos, but merely using the family in which that instrument is included, plus strings. For this case, the instrument was the oboe, and it was a very obvious decision to use oboe, english horn, and basson only, I also added contrabassoon for extra heaviness. The feel is supposed to be very in your face and war-like until the second subject group is introduced, then it's very lyrical and sweet, therefore I fashioned the title from the feel of it. Harp would've gone well with the second subject group, but I didn't want to put too many instruments in there, I wanted it simple and concise, therefore not using more than two main themes, though notice that the main theme is predominately in the bassline, and that in the development, there's a third theme introduced, juxtaposed against the main theme. Later, the main theme and second subject group are juxtaposed.

I see what you mean about the timpani rhythm. At least it's a little off during the recap, I'll change it to a timpani roll in part of it and create a crescendo to the second part of the return of the first subject group.

By the way, there's a few things that still bug me about this movement that I've been too lazy to fix.

I have changed the 1st movement since I posted it though, It's not as long now and therefore more consice. It also doesn't overuse the timpani anymore.

Go Back to forum