• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: INTERMISSION!--Steinway with Garritan soloists

Share/Bookmark

INTERMISSION!--Steinway with Garritan soloists

In the scant bit of time I've had since the whirlwind of getting my show "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray" up and running, I've started exploring the Garritan Steinway which Gary surprised me with when he came to the show's opening.

I'm sure everyone who has gotten their hands on this magnificent piano library has said "wow!" in utter dumbfoundment--Now it's my turn to join in that chorus.

wow.

Here's a BIG chunk of music - I hope the Garritan Gang here has time to listen to at least some of it. It's the 18 minutes of Intermission music I have playing between acts at Pentacle Theatre where the show's currently running in Salem, Oregon.

It's a medley of 8 fragments of songs from the show's first Act, performed with only piano and a series of soloists, unlike the score for the show itself which is a full blown affair using full orchestra plus piano, harp, rock band combo, and synthesizer.

Up until now this Intermission medley used the Steinway in GPO--which I want to say, as I've said before Certainly holds its own as a sampled piano. Now I've gone back into the original Sonar file and re-recorded the piano track using the Steinway and Sons Virtual Grand which is such a triumphant milestone for the Garritan Corp.

The eight Garritan solo instruments used are:

Solo Flute from GPO
    Flugelhorn from JABB
    Clarinet from GPO
    Trombone from JABB
    The Strad
    A Sax from JABB
    English Horn from GPO
    French Horn (with Overlay) from GPO

It's thrilling for me to hear new life breathed into this "Dorian" piece, thanks to the brilliant new library!

INTERMISSION
    for Dorian Gray

Randy Bowser

Re: INTERMISSION!--Steinway with Garritan soloists

Randy, It's good to see you back at the forum!
    I have just finished listening to the entire Intermission and it sure makes me wish I could attend your show. That Steinway D sures comes through on a lot of different levels. It looks like it is really going to hold up to and probably surpass our high expectations.
    I enjoyed the music very much, lots of variety with the soloists. I think the strings really hit the mark with me. I could "hear" the rosin at times, it sounded so realistic. I'm not competent to offer a thorough critique, but I think you have done a bang up job with the music in general.
    Best wishes for a long successful run with the show. John (bigears)

Randy,

It is nice to see you back here on the forum. Thank you also for this enchanting promenade à pied through your delightful musical world. Best wishes for you show.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Randy:

I write as I listen and this music sounds so fresh and merry.

I, too, wish I could see a performance of your show. Maybe
    sometime, soon, someone will make a video of it for exposure
    purposes.

Great music and masterful handling of the Garritan Libraries.

Wishes for greater success in the near future........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: INTERMISSION!--Steinway with Garritan soloists

Randy:
    It is good to see that you are back and will once more, we hope, be forthcoming with your wit and sagacity.

This work is indeed an artistic triumph, with or with that glorious piano sound.

I've heard it said that the piano is a curious instrument due to the fact that it plays and accompanies all other instruments but actually blends with none of them. It may not blend but it certainly complements the others and this is a perfect example.

I apologize for not being able to attend your show but health and personal circumstances prevented me from driving down. I can assume that your "Dorian" was very well received and that you feel a great satisfaction in a project well done.

Steve

Just got through listening to Intermission (over supper,
    as seemed fitting).

Excellent job on this, Randy, as always; with particular
    note of your superb attention to transitions and flow.

It was momentarily disorienting to hear the materials
    out of their orchestrated contexts -- but the medley
    does make another point about the music... that it
    holds up and shines even in a soloist and piano context.

Well done!

Continued success with Dorian, my friend!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Randy, It's good to see you back at the forum!
    I have just finished listening to the entire Intermission and it sure makes me wish I could attend your show. That Steinway D sures comes through on a lot of different levels. It looks like it is really going to hold up to and probably surpass our high expectations.
    I enjoyed the music very much, lots of variety with the soloists. I think the strings really hit the mark with me. I could "hear" the rosin at times, it sounded so realistic. I'm not competent to offer a thorough critique, but I think you have done a bang up job with the music in general.
    Best wishes for a long successful run with the show. John (bigears)
    Grabbing the tiny bit of time left to me this afternoon before getting out to the theatre for another performance--realizing I need to start thanking you generous folks who have replied to my thread!

John, this is such a nice reply--thanks much for it. You made me think of how when I posted this, I meant to point out that I was using The Garritan Strad in an aggressive fiddle style. It was really fun to play it in that section which is from a scene/number from "DORIAN" called "Fantastic Eyes," a masquerade ball scene. I'm glad you enjoyed that section especially. The Strad is extremely expressive, rosin sound et al.

I'll be back to get to everyone on this thread--It's feeling great to be here again, even though it'll still be awhile before I can get back to full posting speed.

Randy B.

Randy,

Welcome back and congratulations on your success. Proof that hard work pays, lol.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Hi Randy, great to see and hear you back on the forum. I’m a little over half way through as I’m beginning to write (started writing just after the strad and the masked ball) and have thoroughly enjoyed rehearing some of these tunes I haven’t heard in months. Makes great intermission music.

Glad the show is going well. When you make your Broadway premier I will be sure to make it down. Actually, I’ll make it to any show in New England, NYC or Philli - if/when.
    Trent P. McDonald

Randy

Who are you?

Another newbie who just got their brand new toy (Steinway) and wants to show off?

Great to see you back, even if only for a short visit. I started into this and haven't finished yet, hopefully this weekend. But wanted to at least say hi and welcome back.

Looks like the new Steinway is easy to work with and of course has the great sound.

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast