• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Holographic Storage

Share/Bookmark

OT: Holographic Storage

Some might find this interesting. I had read about this technology a few years ago, but now it's reality.

Holographic Storage

The price tag will prohibit me from being an early adopter however

Steve Winkler

Re: OT: Holographic Storage

There are some scientists that believe the brain stores memories and knowledge this way.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I thought technology was striving away from bulky storage devices and moving more to smaller more adaptable devices like a memory shhhhticks?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    I thought technology was striving away from bulky storage devices and moving more to smaller more adaptable devices like a memory shhhhticks?

The size is what surprised me too. The drive is big and 300GB for that size media seems low. But I would guess as the technology develops capacity will increase and size will decrease.

I had read a few years ago about someone developing a cube shape crystal that would hold terrabytes of data.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    There are some scientists that believe the brain stores memories and knowledge this way.
    With blue lasers and clear plastic? Whoa!!!

I saw the prototype last year at NAB. It's good to hear that they are soon shipping...

Seems cool. When the price goes down in 15 years, as speculated by the article, I'll buy the device and media storage.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum