• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Music Industry's Extortion Scheme

Share/Bookmark

The Music Industry's Extortion Scheme

Here's something to think about! Not quite sure how I feel about this yet!
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: The Music Industry's Extortion Scheme

Well, it sounds to me like the producers can't make money in the marketplace, so they are attempting to compel people to give them money. To me, this means that I will pay them for a product that I don't want, won't ever use. So extortion is a good description.

If the products were priced according to what the purchasers found acceptable, they might find sales increasing. Or if they did not make things available only in large packages - maybe I might like one song or piece by a performer. But I won't buy because I have to buy more than I want.

Probably the ceo's salaries could be reduced, which ought to lower prices, but greed enters, and the ceo's would never consent, so the effort goes into compelling somebody to pay for something they did not want, or, since they have trouble competing in the market, compete in the courts.

How will all this affect the small independent producers? Will they be prevented from charging for their efforts?

Is my bias showing? I surely hope so.

Richard

Internet providers make money,
    Hardware providers make money,
    iTunes and friends make money,
    Majors will make money,

and the got screwed.

SergeD

I'm doubt the "extortion plan" would work at all anyway... would it be like "Big Music" releasing copyrights? "You are now free to illegally copy if you'd like"? But surely "Big Music" would never want to say that...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Unless they plan on making all downloads 16bit and 44kHz then I'm not the least bit interested either.
    David

A pox on them!

I remember the good ol days, when finding new ways to make the people hate you would not have been considered a good business plan.

"Unless they plan on making all downloads 16bit and 44kHz..."

I'm confused. That's the standard Red Book audio format. That's what they use on CDs. What would you rather have?

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    "Unless they plan on making all downloads 16bit and 44kHz..."

I'm confused. That's the standard Red Book audio format. That's what they use on CDs. What would you rather have?

- k
    I'd much rather have CDs. The idea of not actually having any physical representation of the media is somehow disturbing. Then you add to that the fact that the audio quality sucks, and I'm not sure how this whole download industry is supposed to be the least bit tempting.

If downloads were of CD quality I might occasionally go there for something I needed in a hurry, but the idea of amassing a whole collection of tracks full of aliasing, and then having to burn my own backups of them is just silly.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Internet providers make money,
    Hardware providers make money,
    iTunes and friends make money,
    Majors will make money,

and the got screwed.

SergeD
    Well not all the get screwed. Some make great money, ah, but most of us do get the wrong end...
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum