• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legend of Zelda :D

Share/Bookmark

Legend of Zelda :D

Hi everyone. I'm still trying to improve my use of GPO so that the music I make with it sounds less like garbage and more like most of what I hear on this forum. This is my take on the "Dark World" theme from LoZ3 and (in my opinion) it's already considerably better than the Tchaikovsky rendering I did a while ago.

Original by Koji Kondo (clip sampled from the SNES)
    http://www.suspenlute.com/stuff/loz3clip.mp3

My version, preferred link
    http://www.ctgmusic.com/song.php?id=16696

My version, direct link
    http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/dworld.mp3

Comments are welcome, as I'd really prefer to get better at this.

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: Legend of Zelda :D

Chris,

I've listened through this several times with an ear to the
    sound and production on it.

You're getting quite a lot of things right and righter on
    this. The silky quality and color of the strings I thought
    was quite, quite good (I always have trouble with that).

The space (reverb) -- likewise, well done. There's
    presence and depth and sparkle to it; yet also clarity
    without ringing or loss of detail.

Whatever you're doing, Chris, keep on heading down
    that road!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Koji Kondo is my hero. Good choice. He could beat up Tchaikovsky any day.

Everything's nicely blended and all. It sounded really cool.

Use some music from Majora's Mask next time. That music was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I've listened through this several times with an ear to the
    sound and production on it.

You're getting quite a lot of things right and righter on
    this. The silky quality and color of the strings I thought
    was quite, quite good (I always have trouble with that).

The space (reverb) -- likewise, well done. There's
    presence and depth and sparkle to it; yet also clarity
    without ringing or loss of detail.

Whatever you're doing, Chris, keep on heading down
    that road!
    Thanks for the encouragement. The reverb took quite a bit of tweaking and in the end came out as something much more simple than I'd previously done. Less is more I guess.

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Cransworth View Post
    Koji Kondo is my hero. Good choice. He could beat up Tchaikovsky any day.

Everything's nicely blended and all. It sounded really cool.

Use some music from Majora's Mask next time. That music was the best.
    I'm not sure I agree with you about KK and Tchaikovsky but we'll let that slide. I'm glad it sounds cool. What I've heard of the Majora's Mask soundtrack is indeed awesome (especially since the soundfont they used for it is frankly awful - like great cooking with lousy ingredients), but I never actually played the game so right now none of the tracks really "resonate" enough to make me want to re-render them.

-Chris P.

I'm a complete sucker for video game music. I have done at least 2 marching shows based on Final Fantasy music by Nobuo Uematsu. Nicely done, it pushes the SNES score up a few generations in the hardware. Keep at it, and keep listening. You'll get better over time just from the experience of pushing yourself to try new things.

Chris

I was on a site reading about people's favorite composers. I was thinking that I knew nothing about music, because I had never heard of any of the composers being named.

I didn't even realize that the games today had such great music in them. I still can't tell the difference between Nobuo Uematsu and Toyota Corolla, but I can appreciate good music whoever composes it and regardless of the presentation.

Well done

Ron

I'm a big fan of Yasunori Mitsuda and Yoko Shimomura myself

As for this remix, I like it. I hate, however, when people butcher my favorite game tunes of old, and it's rare to hear a remix that I actually dig. So good job on this one, the snare is a bit strong IMO but otherwise everything sounds great. Strings are nicely presented as well.

I made a film-esque remix of a piece from Super Metroid and posted it on OCRemix but nobody liked it because it was too true to the original, heh. I like to hear an evolution of those childhood game tracks I love, not a 'remix' which sounds nothing like it. Kudos for keeping it original

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you about KK and Tchaikovsky but we'll let that slide. I'm glad it sounds cool. What I've heard of the Majora's Mask soundtrack is indeed awesome (especially since the soundfont they used for it is frankly awful - like great cooking with lousy ingredients), but I never actually played the game so right now none of the tracks really "resonate" enough to make me want to re-render them.

-Chris P.
    You NEED to play MM right now. It is the best Zelda game ever, and it had the best music. At least, it was my favorite out of all of the Zelda games. Plus, it's the only game with a gigantic evil smiling moon that's gonna destroy everything.

I sometimes feel like the last person on the planet to listen to game music – oh well, there is still such a huge world of music out there waiting to be heard.

I like this. I’m assuming you are asking about the rendering – sounds great to me. The instruments all sound right and the reverb is just right for the mix. As David said – whatever you are doing, keep doing it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast