• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Untitled and needs some salt and pepper

Share/Bookmark

Untitled and needs some salt and pepper

I have been working on this one since August of last year and have hit a deadend in my head.

I am not sure where to go with this. Any suggestions?

It is all GPO and JABB

I know the brass needs to be louder and will get to that. this is just a quick rendering to get the ideas.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/7xaub0vc4c

The real question is....

Should I end this or continue on?

Ron

Re: Untitled and needs some salt and pepper

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    I am not sure where to go with this. Any suggestions?
    Go west, young man, go west!

Seriously, Ron, when I get stuck going forward? I usually
    go backwards: that is, look back to the beginnings of the
    piece... and take key thematic or motivic material and
    rebuild it into a new guise.

There are endless possibilities for reshaping material.
    Revoicing, reharmonization, variation, etc., all of which
    I'm sure you're familiar with. Too often, I think we all
    get "stuck" in progress forward for the inability to realize
    that where invention fails, re-invention succeeds -- and
    may well also help round out the formal aspects of a piece.

Hope that provides some food for thought, at least, my
    friend...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron:
    You are in Fort Knox looking for gold.
    Statement, digression, restatement.
    Repetition, varied repetition, variation, inversion, retrograde, retrograde inversion----------------
    Take what you have, put it at the end and write it backwards to the beginning because the world needs more palindromes.

Don't you hate smart donkies?

Steve

David and Steve

I know I can go back and vary something yet again in this, but I guess my real question is whether or not I should.

I think the reason this one has taken me so long, is not the trying to figure out where to go next, but to decide between ending it, or making another variation.

When I listen to my music, I am always afraid that I have made too many repetitions. This, of course is compounded by listening so many times to the piece, that it always sounds like the same thing over and over.

So the real question is....

Thanks guys for the listen and the suggestions

Ron

Ron:
    How long is a piece of string?
    According to my stop watch, your piece is ca. 7:02 in length. Maybe you're stuck because there is no need for more. Bring in one or two of those big bombastic brass chords and a cymbal crash and it's over.
    Always glad to offer help. I feel like I'm an 18 handicap offering advice to a scratch golfer.

Steve

IMHO if you can’t decide if you should end it or continue, that means you should end it.

More than once I have been writing with very definite plans in mind where I think the piece should go and then the piece, at some point, refuses to go there. Why force it? At that point I sit back, decide where it wants to go and follow it out. Sometimes it is an expansion, but usually it is a contraction – sometimes severely contracted.

I’m sure there are a lot of ways this could continue – David and Steve brought up some good points – but if the piece doesn’t want to continue?

Whatever you decided to do, nice sketch so far.
    Trent P. McDonald

To me, the piece sounds like a set of continuous variations. Probably,there should be the word 'variations' somewhere in the title. I think it's just about long enough, but you may want to concentrate more on shaping it dramatically - introduction, coda, climax, loud, soft, transition etc.

I listened to it a few times, and it seemed to grow on me.

Best Regards,

Jack

Steve

You crack me up!!

A piece of string is just as long as it needs to be and not a bit longer.

Trent

That makes perfect sense.

Jack

I do love variations on my themes. A number of the things you mentioned will be done as I finish this up.

Guys, thanks for the input, it helps a lot.

Ron

Hi, Ron - It's been too long since I've had the chance to listen to the magical stuff that emerges from your unique and fertile musical mind.

I'm fresh out of advice - probably because I'm so filled up from the advice people are giving me re: my own music.

Interesting thread - David and Steve both gave you great responses which strongly implied that they felt you should continue with the piece, but you came right back with the same question--like you didn't hear them, or didn't want to perhaps. You again asked if you should keep working on this or just stop - when they already said Go Forward!

Here's a thought. I think composers/writers are working on one huge and continuous Thing all their lives. The demarcations are placed at apparent milestones on that continuum, so they can say, "This is Opus One, here's Opus Two"--etc. The moods will constantly shift during this life long piece which is forever unfolding, but it's actually one all-encompassing piece that's being written.

Trying to find those markers--those divisions can be difficult to find. It sometimes makes the artist feel he's superimposing arbitrary and meaningless "start and end" points on his out put. But of course the writer has to do that, otherwise there wouldn't be manageable sections to present to listeners.

Why struggle to make a certain piece of the Magnum Opus be something other than what it is when you've arrived at a point where you want to share it, like you have this one? Maybe you've had other things you've been more satisfied with, and that's fine--That means that you're likely to have future pieces you'll also be more satisfied with.

Those of us who write songs and other musical compositions based on more traditional harmonies and structures--we have it easier. The guidelines for what makes a piece "finished" are easier to determine. Figuring out how to proceed in wrapping a project up is something easier to figure out.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the journey of listening to this section of your lifelong work which you've spent so much time on.

OK, maybe I Am ready to offer advice - It would be for you to say "Fine for now" and free up your energies for something new.

Thanks for the music.

Randy B.

Hey Ron,

I'm with Steve... have a beer, add a couple cymbal crashes, and there ya go.

Seriously -- if you "end" it now, you can ALWAYS come back to it. It's one of those "little voice" things, nagging you if it's not really finished or shutting up if it is. You already have a really fine piece of music (as always with you); maybe just let it breathe for a little while. I can certainly empathize with you, though, as I'm sure most of us here can. Sometimes, it's all a mystery...

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast