• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update on my Mom & Martin D-35 disaster

Update on my Mom & Martin D-35 disaster

Mom's surgery is scheduled for Monday, May 5.
    The CT scan showed no other tumors and that is very good.
    She is in Ft. Wayne for the weekend with my sister to pull off our surprise remodel of her bathroom. The guys will finish tomorrow and it is turning out great. She will be thrilled. When she is having her surgery and recovery in the hospital, we will hang new curtains and have new carpet put in. Another nice surprise for her.

Today I bought a new Martin acoustic/electric to replace my heavily damaged 30-year-old D-35. It is smaller, has a cutaway style and great electronics.
    Go here: http://charlesmoman.smugmug.com/

to see some photos - click on family and friends - to see it as well as in-progress remodel photos.

Thanks for your concern and offers of help for both my Mom and my guitar. Once again, this forum is a breath of fresh air compared to the majority of forums out there.

Blessings to all!

MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Dallas, TX

Re: Update on my Mom & Martin D-35 disaster

That's great news Charles. I hope she gets a miracle and does not have to have surgery, God gave me one and i know he doesn't love me more than he loves your mom. I had a screwed up back from an auto accident, and granted i haven't had an xray to confirm those three discs are back to normal, but having many years without any of that pain and agony and no physical limitations is enough confirmation for me.

I would love to see her face when she walks in to see what y'all have done. That bathroom looks just like mine but mine has a window, which leaves me wondering what to do there when i install one of those showers.

It will need it to look like a funcioning window from the outside, but i don't want to cut out for it on the shower... i think. I was contemplating how on earth will i remove the existing bathtub, my brother knocked on it, and said "it's made of iron, you just hit it with a baby sledge hammer and breaks into peices." I think ear protection may be needed for that.

Glad you got a new Martin! Many years ago i worked on guitars in a music store. I wasn't a master luthier, but repaired some that were pretty much beyond repair, and they don't sound as well as they did before. They sound pretty good but just not as good and if regluing is extensive on the top, there is a noticable loss of sustain.

I would have offered to repair it for you, but that was about 25 years ago and i'm not sure i would still have the skill required for it.

This is for you and your Mom:
    The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him and I am helped, therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song I will praise Him. -Psalm 28:7

Go Back to forum