• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interesting find using CB/MB and Finale

Share/Bookmark

Interesting find using CB/MB and Finale

I was trying to get the mixer within Finale to work with the CB/MB library and could not get any volumes to change using the Finale mixer. But then I tried the notation version of sounds (they all begin with "n") and now the mixer works. I could not however get the Finale mixer to work using the "n" VDL drumline sounds. If anyone has the answer to this it would be appreciated. But I thought if anyone else had experienced this problem that this might help.

Bill

Re: Interesting find using CB/MB and Finale

Quote Originally Posted by CWillCalho View Post
    I was trying to get the mixer within Finale to work with the CB/MB library and could not get any volumes to change using the Finale mixer. But then I tried the notation version of sounds (they all begin with "n") and now the mixer works.
    Yeah! Hence, the designation "notation" versions of the instruments. Those are the ones that work with--notation programs!
    Quote Originally Posted by CWillCalho View Post
    I could not however get the Finale mixer to work using the "n" VDL drumline sounds. If anyone has the answer to this it would be appreciated. But I thought if anyone else had experienced this problem that this might help.

Bill
    I'm replying even though I'm not a sequencer guy--I play my music, because I see nobody has stepped forward to offer you some help.

But percussion instruments are controlled by velocity, not by cc1 like the pitched instruments. So a mixer like the one in Finale isn't going to be controlling their volumes like the rest of the instruments---I think I know what I'm talking about--?

Randy B.

Bill,

I think you found a bug in Finale. Randy's correct about perc. using velocity, but Finale's HP will apply that correctly and will respond to dynamics placed in the score.

(Note, if you add drum sounds to your score with the setup wizard, Finale will for instance name the staff "Basses". HP will not play this back correctly. You'll need to change the name to something like "Bass Drum". Then it will respond to velocity.)

But the mixer should be independent and should only send a higher gain signal to the audio output. Make sure you report this bug to Finale tech support.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I had placed a call with Finale tech support about the mixer in general, but when I found the "n" instruments I responded to them about that, but did include that the mixer still did not function with the VDL "n" sounds. I will post what they come up with if any.

Bill

As a finale user, I (and most others) have found that the finale mixer is almost hopeless as a mixer. There have been numerous product improvement requests about MM s mixer, all have been sent to product development. MM is almost glacial in making changes to its product so I would not expect any serious improvement for 2009 edition.
    John

This is my conversation with Finale tech; the mixer does work when checking the box they suggest....

Yes, this seemed to work, although I have to turn the drumline sounds all the way up and I moved the winds to 85. At maximum volume they are npt extremely loud. VDL Chimes were also unchecked by default; I can barely hear them at maximum volume, but the sliders do work now.

Thanks,
    Bill

Response (Scott H.) 04/28/2008 02:57 PM
    Dear Bill,

Can you please try checking this. I think the issues is that this is unchecked by default and it usually is checked.

Scott H.
    MakeMusic Customer Support

Customer (Bill Calhoun) 04/28/2008 02:56 PM
    No, it is not checked; should it be?

Bill

Response (Scott H.) 04/28/2008 12:37 PM
    Dear Bill,

When you go to the Kontakt Player 2 and then for those VDL sounds, click on the Gear icon in the upper left of that sound, and then click on "Controller", does this have ACCEPT STANDARD CONTROLLERS FOR VOLUME AND PAN checked?

Scott H.

Customer (Bill Calhoun) 04/28/2008 09:37 AM
    I realize this now after finding it out on my oiwn. But do you know why the n sounds for VDL (drum line sounds) do not work with the mixer?

Bill

Response (Scott H.) 04/28/2008 08:05 AM
    Dear Bill,

When using with Finale, you will want to use the Notation Set of Instruments (N) to have complete functionality with Finale.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this issue.

Scott H.

Go Back to forum