• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sleep

I would like to know what you think of my use of this soundfont. The font is Papelmedia_Irina_Brochin.sf2 and is freely available at the Papelmedia website.

Upon first hearing the original file, I determined that changes had to be made to both the attack and decay of samples. Since there is a very prominent la, la, la, pronunciation to all notes of the middle to upper register and since each note has a rather long decay time, I edited them to achieve a more realistic and versatile sound.

The Piano is that of the J&BB library.

After making an initial WAV recording of the piece, I applied some EQ to that file and made another WAV from it. I do this because I find many of the sounds of GPO and J&BB to be a little high in the tonal mid-range so I like to lower the middle and increase the high just a bit to create what I believe to be a slightly cleaner and more resonant sound.

The song I present here is entitled Sleep and is one of my settings of the poetry of John Keats.

Sean Damon

Re: Sleep

A very beautifully haunting song, Sean; I enjoyed
    the writing in this a great deal... listened through it
    several times last night, in fact.

As far as the voice, I'm not familiar with the original
    so I can't comment on your re-engineering of it.
    But I can say that it serves very, very well for
    a "mock-up" like this... far better than many that
    I've heard.

Well done on this!

My best,

I am not much into vocals, but this sounds fine to me.

Hi Sean,

I like your composition and I like the soundfont!
    Do you use the soundfont within a sequencer? How?
    I would also like to do that.

Very nice Sean. The soundfont works pretty well. It's better
    than a lot I have heard also.

Very nice melody and good accompaniment.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Yudit, other than GPO, J&BB, and various other audio mastering software, I use only Overture SE in the production of my renders. Fortunately, however, Overture comes with a little onboard sequencer that serves me well when preparing a final midi performance. I use every control change available to impart as much realism as possible.

Regarding my handling of this vocal soundfont, the first thing I did after making the edits mentioned in my original post was to enter the notation text. Then I went back and carefully adjusted the attack and decay of notes using the Expression Controller, a control that functions with soundsets outside those of Garritan Libraries. Next, I created the effect of slurred syllables by setting the duration of those notes to 104%. Then, I went back and randomized the velocities of each and every note within the values of 64 and 96. This I find to be a very important step in creating a sensitive and naturally “imperfect” performance. No performer is capable of articulating every note on a perfect dynamic plane. Finally, I add a bit of portamento to those passages that seem to call for it; usually on wide intervals.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Sean -

Very cleanly done. If I step away from my monitors I "hear" certain phrases (lamor, etc.). I'm encouraged by hearing this full length piece--it shows that snippets can be rendered without sounding like cardboard voices.

I enjoy hearing a variety of approaches in the listening room, particularly where composers push the limits. It's especially satisfying when the ear can be "fooled" to this extent.

Go Back to forum