• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jean Michel Jarre

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up OT:Jean Michel Jarre

Hello guys,

I had the luck to go to a live concert by Jean Michel Jarre in my city. The concert was in a new auditorium with a superb acoustic. I was also lucky enough to be only a few meters from the stage, full of those analog synths that he used originally to record Oxygene.

I grew up with his music, so this concert was absolutely special and unforgettable for me.
    I highly recommend you to go to see a live concert by Jean Michel Jarre if you have the chance.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Re: Jean Michel Jarre

Very, very, very jealous!!!

I also grew up with him. His tapes hit the market just as I was able to persuade my mum to get me my first Walkman, so I spent day after day listening to the same albums over and over. He is an absolute legend.
    David

I agree Pingu, he is an absolute legend. Also the father of analog synth music. Seeing so many analog synths there played in live was amazing!
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

That would have been very cool indeed!

My experience seems somewhat different, I'm sorry to say and I hope you won't hate me with this.

I LOVE, I ADORE Jean Michel Jarre!

I've been a fan since 1990! That is 18 years now! :O

And then around 2000-2001 he came to Greece for 2 concerts. I stayed in queu since 07:00 for 4 hours to get tickets and went to the concert! The actual concert that is actually released on CD (and maybe DVD as well?) He was quite happy, the music felt... nice, but in all honesty, after knowing already the Lion/Hioston and the concerts in China and Moscva (sorry, I just love calling Moscow that! ), it felt somewhat dissapointing! It felt... cheap! It felt like he found an opportunity for money and took it!

Now, after 8 years I do realise that JMJ simply doesn't seem like that (but how knows really). I can't make any personal judgements about his person, and this I know. I know that he loves music and that his personality shines! But some things, simply seem too little some times. The concerts in acropolis (thus you can find the CDs), seemed like that. The afro (was that the name?) compilation CD and DVD seemed... well... somewhat. The DVD, was an actress eyes, for the whole duration of the CD. The DVD was 45-50 minutes of 1 persons eyes! I'm all about art, I can understand and maybe later in life I might also appreciate this. But it simply didn't work for me!

Then again teo and tea is simply lovely, even if older fans want to trash it, wherever possible. And the analogue era being there, as well as seeing him in action again (after 8 years) makes me appreciate him again.

In all I find that he's a brilliant man, no doubt! I found his father was as well, and it's only too rewarding to see father and son BOTH deserving praise and very few do!

So,

As always

I'm 100% torn in all honesty!

Never the less was there a chance to catch JMJ live again, I would take the plane and fly there (was it not for the family, etc). Since I'm moving back to Greece I may have to wait another 10 years for his return! But I'm faithful, no matter my rants!

Finally: TARI: I'm JEALOUS! YOU HEAR THAT?!??!??

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    My experience seems somewhat different, I'm sorry to say and I hope you won't hate me with this.

I LOVE, I ADORE Jean Michel Jarre!

I've been a fan since 1990! That is 18 years now! :O

And then around 2000-2001 he came to Greece for 2 concerts. I stayed in queu since 07:00 for 4 hours to get tickets and went to the concert! The actual concert that is actually released on CD (and maybe DVD as well?) He was quite happy, the music felt... nice, but in all honesty, after knowing already the Lion/Hioston and the concerts in China and Moscva (sorry, I just love calling Moscow that! ), it felt somewhat dissapointing! It felt... cheap! It felt like he found an opportunity for money and took it!

Now, after 8 years I do realise that JMJ simply doesn't seem like that (but how knows really). I can't make any personal judgements about his person, and this I know. I know that he loves music and that his personality shines! But some things, simply seem too little some times. The concerts in acropolis (thus you can find the CDs), seemed like that. The afro (was that the name?) compilation CD and DVD seemed... well... somewhat. The DVD, was an actress eyes, for the whole duration of the CD. The DVD was 45-50 minutes of 1 persons eyes! I'm all about art, I can understand and maybe later in life I might also appreciate this. But it simply didn't work for me!

Then again teo and tea is simply lovely, even if older fans want to trash it, wherever possible. And the analogue era being there, as well as seeing him in action again (after 8 years) makes me appreciate him again.

In all I find that he's a brilliant man, no doubt! I found his father was as well, and it's only too rewarding to see father and son BOTH deserving praise and very few do!

So,

As always

I'm 100% torn in all honesty!

Never the less was there a chance to catch JMJ live again, I would take the plane and fly there (was it not for the family, etc). Since I'm moving back to Greece I may have to wait another 10 years for his return! But I'm faithful, no matter my rants!

Finally: TARI: I'm JEALOUS! YOU HEAR THAT?!??!??
    I also have mixed feelings about the concerts. I've never been to one, so I can't really judge, but some of the videos are just boring. I have the one he did for Solidarity, and, as you say, it's pretty much one viewpoint all the time.

Not only that but JMJ seems to be the only person on show the whole time. The older concerts are a bit of a dim and distant memory now, but it seemd like other people had feature slots - some of his other synth players got to play solos, there was the choir that got marched on, whirling dervishes - even on video they seemed to be quite a show (although I was about 10 at the time). On the one I've got now the other musicians are kept very much out of shot, and JMJ picks up every instrument that has even a vaguely important part. It's like some sort of athletics event as he dives from synth to cowbell back to synth, drums, etc.

..which is why I really want to see him live. I'm sure I must be getting the wrong impression.
    David

DAMMMN!!!!

I missed it!!!!! and he was playing live in Madrid!!!! Damn, I haven't seen any ads for this...well, maybe there are, it's just...It seems like I have spent too much time on the studio lately ...

You have no idea how much I envy you, Tari

Enjoy your memory

Iván

Hey guys,

It is great to see that we are many who love Jean Michel Jarre music! I understand you are jealous
    This has been the best concert I have ever seen by far!

Iván, it is a pity you didn't go to see the concert in Madrid...
    I am really enjoying my memories
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by TARI View Post
    I agree Pingu, he is an absolute legend. Also the father of analog synth music. Seeing so many analog synths there played in live was amazing!
    He's a legend but, in my opinion, the true father/mother of analog synth music is Roy/Wendy Carlos.

Lucky! I love JMJ too and have been a fan since 1986. I always wanted to do a show like his and started to get close for a while (at least there were fireworks). But really, the cost on the Mega shows is enormous so playing smaller shows like this are still fine in my book. I just wish he would come back to USA!
    Chris

Go Back to forum