• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: A Happy Birthday Most People Forget...

Share/Bookmark

OT: A Happy Birthday Most People Forget...

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to say a quick Happy Birthday to the good old universe. That's right, our universe, located right here in the Local Neighborhood turns 6,985 today according to 16th Century German Astronomer Johannes Kepler. Kepler, who was also a mathmetician, calculated that the universe was created on April 27, 4,977 BC.

6,985 years...

...not looking too bad!!!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: A Happy Birthday Most People Forget...

Yes, and Bishop James Ussher in the 17th Century pegged the creation as being on October 23, 4004 B.C. Of course, both men were wildly incorrect with staggering underestimates (the solar system is actually about 6 billion years old while the Universe itself is around 15 billion years.) I cut these two intrepid estimators some slack because they had very little data upon which to base their estimates . . . and it certainly shows! I'm glad they gave it a shot though - definitely good for a laugh. Happy Birthday indeed!

Tom

Three other birthdays, frequently un-noticed, this past week, all on April 21st:

My Mother
    Queen Elizabeth II
    The first buffalo born in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco

My mother thought it funny. I don't know what Elizabeth R. thinks about it.

Richard

Afterthought: next January would be the 100th birthday of my father, which makes me feel rather old!

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Three other birthdays, frequently un-noticed, this past week, all on April 21st:
    And mine yesterday!

By odd coincidence, I also am 6,985 years old. Although I don't look a day over 6,984.

Go Back to forum