• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Meeting with Thomas Wilson, conductor

Share/Bookmark

OT: Meeting with Thomas Wilson, conductor

Just wanted to share with my online family something I am excited about! Wednesday I'm scheduled to meet with Tom Wilson ( http://www.csphilharmonic.org/biowilson.html ) , who is principal conductor of the Chamber Orchestra of the Springs ( http://www.chamberorchestraofthesprings.org/ (Colorado Springs, CO) and associate conductor of the Springs Philharmonic ( http://www.csphilharmonic.org/ ) to kick around creative ideas over coffee. I don't feel nervous (yet), but maybe I should, after reading Tom's bio . The Philharmonic does educational programs for young people in addition to their regular performances, and Tom seemed interested in some of my music, possibly, for that sort of thing, although our talk may be more open-ended than just that, too. The Chamber Orchestra is known for playing works by local composers also.

Send me some good vibes, will you all? I hope I am not having a "stupid day" Wednesday!
    Last edited by KE Peace; 04-28-2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: format

Re: OT: Meeting with Thomas Wilson, conductor

That's great, Karen! Let us know how it goes. You're a fine composer with a lot of good material, so no need to be nervous. You'll hold your own, I'm sure, and after all, he wants to see you!

Best wishes
    Owen

Send me some good vibes, will you all?
    Positive vibes coming your way from the mid-west, best of luck with your meeting. John (bigears)

Good luck on the meeting, Karen -- positive vibes on the way to you!

Keep us posted!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks so much Owen, John and Dave.... your good vibes must have worked. Tom showed up looking like a college kid in khaki shorts with an MP3 player plugged in his ear. I almost didn't recognize him out of his tuxedo

So, over a large mug of some foamy coffee thing, he laid out the Colorado Springs music scene in great detail -- ensembles, instrumentation, business considerations, audience preferences, what sells, programming considerations, financial impact of various kinds of instrumentation, and told me about some composers doing little opera works and/or "narrated concerts" that appeal to young people (which sort of thing is programmed alot here) (example: Menotti's Amahl and the night visitors, and he also had a living composer who makes a living doing that sort of thing, too -- forget his name right now.) There was a lot of laughter, too. What is very striking about him is that he is both extremely focused and also very warm. Those two are a great combination, and sometimes hard to find.

He also referred me to the director of a pre-college conservatory which is less than 10 minutes from my house; it seems they are always looking for new works.

All in all, he spent an hour and a half with me, for which I feel very lucky. Mostly him giving me info, and me taking notes. Near the end of our visit, he asked "Have you ever considered writing an opera?" So, I've been working on a comic "chamber opera" which will probably be about 30-40 minutes or so and centers around ... what else? ... coffee in the office environment. It's Dilbert meets Gilbert and Sullivan. I am having alot of fun with that, and the snippets I shared with him elicited very positive responses.

I also now feel free to email him samples of stuff i'm working on -- i told him no expectations and no need for response, but if it's OK, i'd like to be able to send stuff now and again to keep him posted. and that was fine.

So all this feels very good.

Thanks again everyone!
    Karen

Karen, That sounds like it went just great. Good for you! Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves that we all put our pants on one leg at a time. (except for super-heroes, I think their tights are always on)
    John

Excellent, Karen - that's really encouraging!

Dilbert and Sullivan, huh?

"When you stare at the screen and the letters they seem
    to just dance round and round right in front-o-you,
    And you cubicle wall seems to grow very tall
    and your chair slowly sinks lower under-you"

ok, I won't give up my day job.

Regards,
    Owen

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Excellent, Karen - that's really encouraging!

Dilbert and Sullivan, huh?

"When you stare at the screen and the letters they seem
    to just dance round and round right in front-o-you,
    And you cubicle wall seems to grow very tall
    and your chair slowly sinks lower under-you"

ok, I won't give up my day job.

Regards,
    Owen
    Wow! Owen, that's just exactly the kind of mood!!! You're good at that! That is fantastic word-smithing, no joke! I can't tell where exactly this little "operettina" will go, but if occasion arises, could I use those words (with proper credit to you of course)?

Cheers,
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace View Post
    Wow! Owen, that's just exactly the kind of mood!!! You're good at that! That is fantastic word-smithing, no joke! I can't tell where exactly this little "operettina" will go, but if occasion arises, could I use those words (with proper credit to you of course)?

Cheers,
    K
    well, if you really want to, you're welcome to! With or without credit.

(That little verse was to the tune of "When you're lying awake with a dismal headache..." from Iolanthe if you hadn't already figured that out)

Karen -

The phrase "Dilbert & Sullivan" by itself, is enough to guarantee you a full house!

Follow up those leads. And get more leads from them.

I wish you much success.

- k

p.s. Can I play Wally? He's always been kind of a hero to me.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum