• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mutli Articulations in EXS24

Share/Bookmark

Mutli Articulations in EXS24

I have used Logic since 1.0 (currently using Logic 7), but I have always neglected the EXS24. I use it occasionally for an instrument or two, and I have figured out how to map say a drum kit to different outputs so I can control the kick, snare, HH, etc. separately, but for multiple instruments like you would use in EWQLSO or VSL, would you have to load an instance of EXS24 for each articulation? If so, what is the drain on resources as EXS24 is fully integrated with Logic? If I want to load 3 violin articulations: legato, staccato and pizz. do I really need to use 3 instances of EXS24?

I've read all the manuals and books and can't figure out a way to do it other than 1 articulation per instance. Thanks.

Re: Mutli Articulations in EXS24

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music View Post
    I have used Logic since 1.0 (currently using Logic 7), but I have always neglected the EXS24. I use it occasionally for an instrument or two, and I have figured out how to map say a drum kit to different outputs so I can control the kick, snare, HH, etc. separately, but for multiple instruments like you would use in EWQLSO or VSL, would you have to load an instance of EXS24 for each articulation? If so, what is the drain on resources as EXS24 is fully integrated with Logic? If I want to load 3 violin articulations: legato, staccato and pizz. do I really need to use 3 instances of EXS24?

I've read all the manuals and books and can't figure out a way to do it other than 1 articulation per instance. Thanks.
    Leon, you have to open the EXS24's Instrument editor to assign the outputs. It is not that hard.

However, the beauty of the EXS24, unlike i.e. Kontakt, is that 16 instances set to 1 voice apiece takes no more CPU than 1 instance set to 16 voices so for drums, you can open up a bunch of them and cut down the default voice assignment to say 8, which should be more than enough, and fire them up. Set strings to perhaps 16 voices.

That said, are you not using libraries that let you keyswitch through the articulations?
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks for the reply. I've got the outputs figured out.

I have a lot of libraries that use keyswitches, but mostly I have been working with Kontakt2 and using banks with program changes. Do keyswitches work the same way in EXS? Can you build your own keyswitches?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've got the outputs figured out.

I have a lot of libraries that use keyswitches, but mostly I have been working with Kontakt2 and using banks with program changes. Do keyswitches work the same way in EXS? Can you build your own keyswitches?
    Yes, and if you get Redmatica's wonderful Keymap, it is pretty easy to do.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum