• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The G-Stein playing a Brahms Tear-jerker...

Share/Bookmark

The G-Stein playing a Brahms Tear-jerker...

OK... I've never posted here before.... but here goes with my Brahms... hope it works....

http://www.box.net/shared/7ukve3z1cg

Don't ask me for the details on the piano... I never bother... except to say that it's the under-lid from the pro version.

Damn fine sample....!!! Best Steinway out there.. It takes work to get it to perform .... but once you get the feel, well ..... bliss.....

JG

Re: The G-Stein playing a Brahms Tear-jerker...

Ahhh... bliss indeed, John, bliss indeed!

A gorgeous rendition of this. Thank you for a beautiful
    addition to my afternoon.

As you say, it takes a little time to get it "just right"
    with the G.Steinway (though far, far less than any
    other samples I've used, I must note)... but when
    you get there? It's piano heaven. There's just nothing
    like this, anywhere, for any price.

Well done! By gosh, I do think I even spent a tear
    or two...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

John,

This is gorgeous! You hit it when you said bliss. Beautifully played and rendered. You make the Steinway sing. Thanks.

Bill

Edit: Listening again, on speakers this time, I love how you take advantage of G Steinway's wonderful dynamic range. Well done.
    Last edited by valhalx; 04-29-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add to
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

John,

This made my afternoon too. I think I listened over two dozen times and it tugs at the heartstrings every time.

Just so soothing, so beautiful and played with so much feeling.

May I include this on the Steinway demo page?

Thanks for posting this.

Best

Gary Garritan

Gosh... Shucks ..... thanks. It's only a first attempt, mind you. I'm sure I can do better. I KNOW I can do better.... musically and fidelity-wise. The notes are there (with I confess much midi correction). But I'm not pleased at all with some of the tempo adjustments. Too fast in places.

But thanks for the positive feedback. And sure, Gary, if you think you can use it, go ahead.

JG

A note for the Brahms purists out there... if there are any. Yes, the rubato is extreme and I take some ridiculous liberties with the bass line in places. But the piano sample seemed to allow it, or should I say, demand it.

It's interesting how different samples have different strengths and, of course, certain "traps," for the unwary. This is, for me, so obviously the very best piano on the market right now, not because it isn't demanding to use... it is.... but because every range is totally available. Just not so with other samples, I'm afraid. I've always finding myself having, more than anything else, to restrict the velocity range of other piano samples out there on the market, basically to make them sound "real." That may have something to do with the velocity curve-hyping of these samples.

Not the case with this sample. In fact, the opposite. It's very true to the instrument's actual velocity/timbre characteristics. Perhaps that is why there is none of the incipient "tinnyness," for want of a better term, that seems always to creep into Steinway samples. Steinway samples seem to me particularly prone to it. "Truth of timbre" is what (for me) makes this sample so much more REAL than the other samples out there, even at the extreme ends of the velocity curve.

JG

Such a great piece. The rubato was superb - I lived with this piece for many years, and I heartily agree/approve (not that you need my approval...). The imitation in the B section came out beautifully - the balance was excellent. This was a very personal performance, and a very moving one, as well.

Bravo, several times over!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Wow - the way this is tonally sculpted in places made me think of Murray Perahia's Brahms playing. Beautiful stuff.

Im definitely taking the plunge on getting this piano, you can almost smell the wood and the furniture polish.

John, Very lovely piece and performance. Thank you. There was an almost bell like tone in certain places. Come back again and favor us with some more! Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post
    And sure, Gary, if you think you can use it, go ahead.

JG
    Thanks John,

We'll put it up soon. If I recall this is the Intermezzo in A from Klavierstucke (Six Piano Pieces)?

I like your interpretation, especially the rubato. Very nice touch. And I appreciate the kind words about the Steinway. Becoming intimate with an instrument is important. I have found that real pianos also have their strengths and traps as well and one often plays to the strengths.

After three years of focusing on the details this project it is rewarding to hear some of the music, like yours and others in the Listening Room, being made with the library.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast