• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Tips on JABB Keyb - Sampler for Naturalness

Share/Bookmark

Tips on JABB Keyb - Sampler for Naturalness

Hi all,

Just got my JABB - am loving it, but i have the same issue as with my other Samplers (its NOT JABB per say) , i dont know how or what to set to make the Samples (esp Brass and Sax, etc) to sound as Close AS POSS to Natural ATTACK and Release.

I am a guitarists, but i have 3 Samplers, but just dont have the spare time to learn all the DEEP tweaks - i wish i did.

I have this same UN-Natural (sharp, metallic, abrupt) attck-release with most of my sapmles-samplers, and not sure what to tweak.

IN JABB, many of the Inst's do NOT have ATTACK control .

Here's what i do know, i know JABB is set up to use Mod Wheel for Expression and to use your R Hand Velocity to control Attack , BUT it is very hard to be that sensitive, esp on fast riffs - is there a way to adjusts VEL Sensitiviy or RANGE? I have played with the 2 VEL settings in the menu's but to no avail (yet).

I know a Wind or Breath controller might do it best, but i wouldnt know how to use those -

Can any one help me to get the best poss results with a Midi Keyboard? Perhaps share their tweaks. Mostly i just want the attacks and release to be more Natural and less Metalic (fake ) sounding.

I am using an Axiom MAudio unit. Please understand i only know enough Midi theory to basically get it up and running.... Thanks ahead to any kind souls!!

M1122

Re: Tips on JABB Keyb - Sampler for Naturalness

oooops - well, right now i am just using the Standalone (Kontakt2-updated) unit. Sometimes ACID Pro 6.

thanks for the welcome!

..."you can adjust note velocity manually in the PRV."

What is PRV?

Can this be done in the Standalone? If not, are you saying if i load it in ACID , i can tweak VEL more ?

.."CC1 (Modwheel) can also be used to help shape the release of notes, a fast roll off as the note is ending can really improve the release, making it not so abrupt. "

...can you elaborate on how to do this - do you mean a fast roll down by the MW, or are you refering to fast (right) Hand release of note?

..."There are a number of other ways of getting the samples to behave the way you want, but there really aren't any "quick-fixes". You'll have to put some time in to edit the MIDI data."

Thanks, any tips on the major Midi Data param's i need to look into - most midi manuals confuse me and i dont know wehre to begin.

Thanks all for any patience and understanding.

Cheers M1122

jjloving,

thanks again.... i have gone over the manual a few times, but will again.... alot of what i am lacking is prob 'general midi and sequencer' how to, so thanks again for that.

The Axiom Keyboard is nice for the bucks, but its Editor is hard to figure out (prob why its called Enigma) and i am trying to learn how to assign CC's in it, to JABB - so far no luck, it seems to do it and upload to Keyboard, but then it doesnt do anything - hair pulling stuff.

It would've been months before i realized i could REC the Midi tracks, then fine tune them , like you said !!!!Thanks tons - it never hurts to ask.

i apologize for the ignorance, i have only recently gone to PC DAW's and Samplers... I had been a physical inst-analog hardware only guy for years, so Midi and Sampling can be a bit overwhelming if one wasnt weened on it.

If anyone else has any tips, i am very appreciative of them.

If anyone is using Acid or Enigma Midi prog, please help....ESPECIALLY if you have an Enigma -Garritan Library-Preset !!!!

Best,

M1122

Jon,

Thanks again !! I'll give it a go. Yeah, you can see they got at least the name right for Enigma , eh? Almost like a joke!

BTW - i believe Acid Pro has all the same Midi editing fields as Sonar, EXCEPT it doesnt have a Notation Editor . What are the keywords or names of the parameters or features used in Sonar (in the photo you showed) - perhaps i can cross ref them and read up on in Acid (one looked like Piano Roll-View and what parameter? , etc..)

Also, does aftertouch play any roll with the Brasses, Sax's, (in Garritan) etc? I saw some on this in the Manual, but it seemed brief.

Thanks again!!!

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by mididiot1122 View Post
    Hi all,

Just got my JABB - am loving it, but i have the same issue as with my other Samplers (its NOT JABB per say) , i dont know how or what to set to make the Samples (esp Brass and Sax, etc) to sound as Close AS POSS to Natural ATTACK and Release.

I am a guitarists, but i have 3 Samplers, but just dont have the spare time to learn all the DEEP tweaks - i wish i did.

I have this same UN-Natural (sharp, metallic, abrupt) attck-release with most of my sapmles-samplers, and not sure what to tweak.

IN JABB, many of the Inst's do NOT have ATTACK control .

Here's what i do know, i know JABB is set up to use Mod Wheel for Expression and to use your R Hand Velocity to control Attack , BUT it is very hard to be that sensitive, esp on fast riffs - is there a way to adjusts VEL Sensitiviy or RANGE? I have played with the 2 VEL settings in the menu's but to no avail (yet).

I know a Wind or Breath controller might do it best, but i wouldnt know how to use those -

Can any one help me to get the best poss results with a Midi Keyboard? Perhaps share their tweaks. Mostly i just want the attacks and release to be more Natural and less Metalic (fake ) sounding.

I am using an Axiom MAudio unit. Please understand i only know enough Midi theory to basically get it up and running.... Thanks ahead to any kind souls!!

M1122
    M1122,

You can try the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi to add realism & humanization to your midi tracks. If you're playing in the midi data you can bypass the scripts when recording, concentrate on the notes and dynamics, then turn the scripts back on for playback. The scripts will eliminate most if not all the tweaking including legato, portamento, vibrato, air noise timbre etc. The multi is avaliable at Mike's K2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    YES! By all means get and use this. Didn't even cross my mind, but it's a great tool as well. sorry Mike!
    Thanks for the endorsement Jon

Guys,

Thanks SOOOO much - all of the utmost help !!

I'll try the script too.

Mike, do you still need the FULL Kontakt 2 - i guess its Kontakt 3 now?

I suppose it wont work with Kompakt? Just trying to avoid buying a 4th Sampler .

cheers
    josh

Quote Originally Posted by mididiot1122 View Post
    Guys,

Mike, do you still need the FULL Kontakt 2 - i guess its Kontakt 3 now?

I suppose it wont work with Kompakt? Just trying to avoid buying a 4th Sampler .

cheers
    josh
    Josh,

It was created to work with the Kontakt 2 Player included with JABB, GPO, CoMB and the Strad & Gofriller. After installing you should be able to load it from the K2 player browser 's "User Multis" Dropdown.

I Hope it does the trick for you

Mike,

YES ...Thanks - a dontation is on its way !!!!

One quest - for some reason, my PC wont send the files to the proper places when i Unpack the Zip (i have Stuffit) - so i had to manually put the Phrase Mod files in the User Multis (hope thats right - it seemed to work) , but all the other Files - Wavs are just sitting in the main Kontakt 2 Player Folder - prob not directed to wjere they were supposed to go - i can manually move them, but need to know what goes where - i dont know why it wont just install the way it says in the PDF - PC's - go figure !!!

Also, when i load and play it i get " SCRIPT WARNING: Set Midi Param (byte 2)-using 0 instead" down in lower left of screen - is this an issue , or just ignore?

Thanks again!!!

Josh

Jon......BTW - i know there is a Sample REC quality setting - but does this effect playback (real time too) or is there a setting to make Real Time Playback HQ (in JABB) ?

Sometimes too i get Digital Clicking on fast runs (prob JABB or Kontakt) - i am guessing this is perhaps a buffer issue? Any tips on what / where to tweak?

PC ix XP Pro, 3ghx P4 processor, 1 gig RAM.

thanks all!!

josh

Go Back to forum