• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard-to-find Voice Samples

Hard-to-find Voice Samples

I\'m working on a project and am looking for something in particular that I just can\'t seem to find. I am throwing this out here in hopes that one of you may have come across something of this nature.

I\'m looking for acapella songs, voices, singing, chanting, etc of anything related to the slave movement in the US - probably mid to late 1800s..maybe even early 1900s (ie. Negro spirituals from that time period). Does anyone know of a sample source that would contain this sort of stuff?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Hard-to-find Voice Samples

Vocal Planet doesn\'t specifically address that...but it does have Gospel and Blues solo phrases that are oohhs and mmms type phrases in different keys and bpm\'s which I could imagine in the context you are talking about. The Gospel section is certainly spiritual. I made a demo of some voices from the Gospel disk the other day for a friend to demonstrate the solo voice...ignore piano and drums and you\'ll be fine...www.synkopia.com/demos/grace.mp3.

Vocal PLanet, and Heart of Africa

Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Vocal PLanet, and Heart of Africa

Thanks, King. I have heard the Africa one and I think its great. Does Vocal Planet really have stuff like that? The demos don\'t make it seem like it does at all? Do you have it?

I was thinking probably more along the lines of what is on the Spiritual Voices CD. I think that CD is incredible, but it doesn\'t have enough of what I\'m really looking for.

Actually, you might be able to find what you\'re looking for in the Library of Congress archives. They have a fair amount of sound recording material that you can access directly from their web site.

The main access site for the Library of Congress is

I\'d then click on \"American History\", then \"search\", then go to the right of the page and click on \"Sound Recordings\". You can get there directly by going to:
    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/collections:@field(FLD003+@band(origf+Sound+Record ing)):heading=Original+Format%3a+Sound+Recordings

Make sure and read the \"Copyright Restrictions\" section. Hope this helps!

John www.jdkmusic.com

Go Back to forum