• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key switches to control release times? can anyone help?

Share/Bookmark

Key switches to control release times? can anyone help?

Hi am new to Kontakt and to creating sampled instruments in general and wondered if some one could help me. Like I say I am new to this so am not completely sure about some of the terms I am using.

I am having some trouble trying to get the results from kontakt 2 that I want. I've recently created a sample library of my universities Javanese Gamelan. For the metallphone instruments in the Gamelan I have used ADSR envelopes as a modulator to amplifier in kontakt. I've used the longest sustain, decay and release times so that the samples play for full duration when the corresponding midi not is triggered, regardless of how long the key is held down. So far I have set the mod-wheel to control the release times.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:
    When a note is struck it continues to ring out until another note on the instrument is struck. When the latter note is struck the previous notes release is triggered so that the note is dampened.

I have a feeling that this could be done by using groups to set each note as keyswitch to the others, which controls release time but I'm really not sure.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thank you

Re: Key switches to control release times? can anyone help?

If you try the drums on a general midi kit, when to hit the open hihat the sound dies away slowly, but if you immediately follow it with a pedal hihat the sound is cut off. It is my understanding that this is called a choke. Instruments are grouped so that when any member of the group is played, any other member of the group is silenced, or choked. As far as I know it usually only applies on drum tracks, although I have had trouble with a bass sound ringing too long when played legato.

I can't tell you how to do it Kontakt but this is the effect you should be looking for, on the drum sampler I use there is a key specificall yused for choking groups of sounds.

Did I see that this is your first post, welcome to the forum

That was my first post and thank you. Yeah the way hi hats are implemented in most samplers is the exact thing I'm getting at. I might try looking at a sampled drum kit in kontakt to see how this done. I'd not even thought of that, so cheers.

I don't know if anyone is interested in hearing a demonstration piece that I made to show the library is sounding so far but if so then:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9TWPD9ZD

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Sadler View Post

I am having some trouble trying to get the results from kontakt 2 that I want. I've recently created a sample library of my universities Javanese Gamelan. For the metallphone instruments in the Gamelan I have used ADSR envelopes as a modulator to amplifier in kontakt. I've used the longest sustain, decay and release times so that the samples play for full duration when the corresponding midi not is triggered, regardless of how long the key is held down. So far I have set the mod-wheel to control the release times.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:
    When a note is struck it continues to ring out until another note on the instrument is struck. When the latter note is struck the previous notes release is triggered so that the note is dampened.

I have a feeling that this could be done by using groups to set each note as keyswitch to the others, which controls release time but I'm really not sure.
    You don't have to be that fancy - you can do this with a "voice group". You put the group(s) you want into a "voice-group", and set the polyphony for that voice-group to 1. That way, a new note in that voice-group will cut-off any still playing voice. It is in the group editor panel, but note that "voice groups" are different from K's normal groups, in that a voice-group can contain one or more groups.

Go Back to forum