• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB multis Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

JABB multis Logic Pro

Hi

The question is about use and setup of multis.

Ive tried using JABB since January 2008. I got a big bannd arrangement the first day, have spent the rest of the time trying to get better performance sound.

I am now stuck and I have to start all over again.. first by learning how to use and setup the JABB library as a plugin for the Logic Pro sequencer in an efficient way. I come back to why I think multis are an issue at the end, but it would be OK to get an understanding how this work or should work.

So I want to use the JABB with KontaktPlayer2 as an Audio Unit, AU, plug in Logig Pro 8 and Logic Express 8 ( and Garageband ). I have been doing this. However the only way I have gotten this to work is by creating one instance of the KontaktPlayer for each track in the piece. This seems to me inefficient, but I dont know. I now thought this would be a typical situation where you use multis.

I am unable to do this in Logic. I would like to get some help on how, and also some expert help whether what I try to do has any purpose at all.

I can create new tracks containing software instruments in Logic from the Arrange window by selecting Track/New checking off multitimbral and setting how many instruments I want, say I want to create 8 brass. Logic then creates 8 tracks with separate MIDI channels. I can then select one of them from the channel strip and press 'I/O' and in the popup select AU Instruments/Native Instruments/KontakPlayer2/Stereo. And then I can make a Multi in the KontaktPlayer. I can set the individual instruments of the multi to respond to different midi channels corresponding to those defined in Logic. The individial tracks in Logic can then be recorded and the correct instrument is sounding.
    However I can then not use the mixer in logic to mix the levels, nor to mute individual tracks. All tracks change their volume together since they are now one instrument seen from Logic. Also all or non can be muted in Logic. I can do this in the Kontakt player window though. Track automation can handle individual volumes if I assign the 'host parameters' in the 'Auto' tab of Kontaktplayer to volume sliders of the instruments in the Kontaktplayer2 window. ( They show up only by numbers in Logic, so it is inconvenient and difficult to remember, but templates could be made where say 2 parametrs are predefined for a track )

This is not convenient to use at all, and rather assigning one new instance of the Kontaktplayer to each track is much more convenient to work with, however it may be more of a memory grabber? but I dont know. Fact is that when I use that approach, I constantly experience that there is coming no sound off a track. If I then erase another track, it has come back again. If I define another track again, a track may go dead again. I get no warnings that there is a problem from the system. just no sound. Freezing tracks does not help for this. The sound is also gone from the track if I mix down everything to a stereo track.

I use different configurations, but one frequent is
    iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.
    Mac OS 10.4.11, Logic Express 8 vers 8.01, KontaktPlayer2 version 2.2.3

Does this make any sense?
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: JABB multis Logic Pro

Thanks for the reply and the links. I am sorry to say it did not lead me anywhere and my problem remain the same, but I appreciate your help.

I guess the primary question addresses the KontaktPlayer2 when oerated under MacOSX together with Logic Pro 8. Does it really help creating multis? (Has anyone actually used it? )

tordenspyd

The Kontakt Player, at least the more recent updates, works fine as a multi-output, multi-timbral player in LP8. You need to:

1. Open it as multi-output Software Instrument.
    2. Create the desired amount of auxes in the Mixer
    3. Assign the different instruments to the desired outputs, whioch will come up on the auxes.
    4. Create a Multi Instrument (MIDI) to cable to it, and add those to the Arrange window, or even better IMHO, open External software instruments assigned to those MIDI channels.

It sounds complex but it can be done in about 5 minutes.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks for your kind reply.
    I am not able to do what (I think) you suggest.
    It can perhaps be done in 5 minutes, It is also possible to spend4 months without accomplishing it.

I dont understand what you mean in point 4 below.
    I think what you suggest will not use Kontaktplayer2 as an audio unit (AU) plugin, but you somehow manage communication between a standalone version of Kontakplayer2 and Logic. Is that correct? I thought this should be possible in the environment of Logic. I cant get Kontaktplayer to show up there at all. ( I used Interapplication communication with OS 9, am totally ignorant about it in Logic though)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    The Kontakt Player, at least the more recent updates, works fine as a multi-output, multi-timbral player in LP8. You need to:

1. Open it as multi-output Software Instrument.
    2. Create the desired amount of auxes in the Mixer
    3. Assign the different instruments to the desired outputs, whioch will come up on the auxes.
    4. Create a Multi Instrument (MIDI) to cable to it, and add those to the Arrange window, or even better IMHO, open External software instruments assigned to those MIDI channels.

It sounds complex but it can be done in about 5 minutes.

No, I can do either way, standalone or AU.

PM me and if you want I can send you a template.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum