• Register
  • Help

Topic: STEINWAY - Blue Tango

Share/Bookmark

STEINWAY - Blue Tango

When I was in high school in the mid-1950's my piano teacher had my older sister and me play some one-piano, 4-hand duets in our piano class recitals. This is one of the duets we did. My playing is not as clean as it used to be thanks to old age and arthritis and I'm not real good at the mastering process but here is what I have. I recorded it using 2 separate instances of the piano (24 bit samples), one for the primo and one for the secondo (which was my part. ) The perspective is the Classic and I raised the resonances somewhat. I did then normalize the file in Sound Forge before uploading it.

Anyway, here's hoping you'll enjoy this and I will, as always, appreciate any help you can offer to help me improve.

Leroy Anderson's Blue Tango
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: STEINWAY - Blue Tango

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    When I was in high school in the mid-1950's my piano teacher had my older sister and me play some one-piano, 4-hand duets in our piano class recitals. This is one of the duets we did. My playing is not as clean as it used to be thanks to old age and arthritis and I'm not real good at the mastering process but here is what I have. I recorded it using 2 separate instances of the piano (24 bit samples), one for the primo and one for the secondo (which was my part. ) The perspective is the Classic and I raised the resonances somewhat. I did then normalize the file in Sound Forge before uploading it.

Anyway, here's hoping you'll enjoy this and I will, as always, appreciate any help you can offer to help me improve.

Leroy Anderson's Blue Tango
    A very fun recording! I enjoyed listening very much. You're playing was great as well. The only thing that I would suggest would be to add some reverb. It really is a matter of taste and personal opinion, so try a few reverb settings, either less or more, and try the dry or wet settings.

I think one of the most important part to making a sample library sound real is making it sound as if its being played in a room or concert hall. The Steinway is excellent already, so just a touch of reverb would bring this recording to its full potential, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. May God bless you!

EDIT: On a second listen, let me reiterate that I really mean just a touch of reverb. I compared this recording to some classical recordings that I have of Wilhelm Kempff playing Beethoven. That sounds like an interesting comparison, but the recordings are recorded from the same type of "classical" perspective, as are most classical recordings. The only real difference was just the ever so slight ring of the room. Anyways, try this for yourself. It really is a matter of opinion, and the recording stands just fine as it is.

What a delight! Jerry, great job on this. I listened
    through it several times and still have it looping.

Playing, rendering, sound treatment -- all first-rate.

Our respected colleague Sonare Coeli suggests "just
    a touch of reverb"; and perhaps the barest hint more
    would be worth trying -- but quite honestly, after
    several listens? I like this a great deal as is... the
    sound is full, with satisfying presence and fine clarity.

Much impressed, Jerry!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

That was wonderful.

Would you please share some of the settings that you used in the Garritan Steinway?

I'm having more trouble than I expected gettinga pleasant tone - I frankly hate most of the presets.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jrcallan View Post
    Would you please share some of the settings that you used in the Garritan Steinway?
    I really didn't change a lot but here is what I used:

Perspective - Classic
    Polyphony - 32
    Sustain Resonance - 27
    Sympathetic Resonance - 65
    Tone - presets as is
    Ambience - presets as is except I lowered the top of the wet slider to the mid point of the dry slider and lowered both sliders about 15% from the preset setting
    Mechanical noise - off
    I used no pedalling in this piece as I don't remember that we used any pedalling when we performed it live.

Sonare Coeli - Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I understand why you are saying what you suggest and it does make sense but these settings more closely approximate the more intimate setting of a piano studio (to me) which was the sound I was trying to reach. Perhaps I will try your setting to see what it would sound like in a more concert hall setting. I appreciate your thoughts and will keep them in mind next time. As I said, I'm a real newbie when it comes to shaping the sounds after the notes are in.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Wonderful work. I just keep getting more and more jealous of you guys that already have this great sounding piano.

Well done

Ron

Delightful, Jaybee.

I remember this piece as a very often performed duet.
    It has a lot of great rhythm and a charming melody.

You "piano chops" are still in great shape. Let's hear
    some more.......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks so much. This is really a great performance. It's so much fun!

Very enjoyable performance. Thanks for sharing.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

I concur with... everybody!
    This was just a delight to listen to. Great job on the performance, rendering, and Steinway settings.

Thank you for sharing!

Danny

Go Back to forum