• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sign of Times: Turnkey and Sound Control in Administration

Share/Bookmark

Sign of Times: Turnkey and Sound Control in Administration

Yesterday afternoon the news was released that Sound Control has filed for administration (in the USA it's the same as bankruptcy). It is understood that 10 of the company’s 26 stores have closed whilst the remaining 16 will continue to trade under the control of the administrators. Unfortunately 100+ staff have been laid-off. The stores do about £50m ($100m US) worth of business.

The Group operates from 26 stores across the UK, under the brand names Sound Control, Media Tools, Turnkey and Soho Sound House, and is the largest musical instrument retailer in the UK.

This came as quite a surprise to the industry.

Re: Sign of Times: Turnkey and Sound Control in Administration

That's the first I've heard of this Gary!

I've bought a lot from Soho Sound House / Turnkey over the years - I would have thought they were pretty solid. This doesn't really bode well for others in the industry I guess.

BB

Hello Gary,

This is both a surprise and a shame I think. I've bought a few things from Turnkey and I've always been happy with their sales people and the purchases.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I found out when I got an email from DolphinMusic offering assistance to anyone who needs to take on SoundControl to recover the cost of unfilled orders. They also offered to pricematch any order that anyone had lodged with Sound Control. Talk about quick off the mark!

I wonder what this means for the music industry as a whole in the UK. Sound Control seemed fairly robust. They have a stranglehold on all the trade done at UK expos such as MusicLive. If they've gone under then something is clearly wrong.
    David

I also heard a rumor that Sears may file for bankruptcy soon along with the GAP. I fear this is just the beginning.
    Styxx

The other worrying thing about this is that Carillon music computers are part of the Turnkey set-up. I haven't seen anything to indicate whether or not Carillon are part of the bankruptcy, but I haven't been able to get their website to work, which looks ominous. I'm sure I'm not the only person here with a Carillon machine - mine is 2 years old but as far as I know they've been selling new models recently so presumably a lot of other people's warranties will be affected.

I could tell you things about Turnkey that would make your toes curl.

I've been a long time customer of Sound Control since they set up shop in Glasgow years ago, I know many of the staff personally who really did the company proud with their contribution to customer service, I really feel for those guys.

I have to say that more recently the few purchases I've made I've done online, particularly from here So hard for anyone to compete with their prices and perhaps this has contributed to their demise.

Here's an example. I called the Guitar Guitar store in Glasgow today to ask if they could get a hold of a Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White. Yes, no problem, can be here in four weeks, price £1149. Thomann website linked to above, three days for delivery total price £696.37 free shipping. Great deal for me (can't afford it ), but how can a shop compete. That's a saving of over £400!!!!

A sign of the times?

Go Back to forum