• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hyperbolic Geometry

Share/Bookmark

Hyperbolic Geometry

Last October, shortly after getting GPO, I posted this Duet. Since then I believe my skills have increased and as proof of this highly unbelievable statement, I offer the same piece, updated and hopefully more skillfully rendered.

The Piece is based On Hyperbolic Geometry which has a different outlook on everything around us. In Euclidean Geometry, a line and a point not on the line has one line that goes thru the point that is parallel to the 1st line. In Hyperbolic Geometry, there are at least 2 distinct lines thru that point that are both parallel to the original line. In math speak, that means there are an infinite number of lines thru that point that are parallel to the line.

I know, Who cares?! Not even Mathematicians care much about geometry anymore.

I composed this one by Playing and recording the keyboard and then adding the violin afterwards one note at a time in sibelius.

Anyway, here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/rxveppcgss

Here is a score for those who wish. Just don't look directly at it or you might go blind from all of the mistakes.

http://www.box.net/shared/fkulkldox1

Here is the old version for the masochists in the group.

http://www.box.net/shared/zu9zye4zvo

Hope you enjoy it. I entered this one in a competition and took 2nd place and yes, there were more than 2 entries.

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Hyperbolic Geometry

The Piece is based On Hyperbolic Geometry which has a different outlook on everything around us. In Euclidean Geometry, a line and a point not on the line has one line that goes thru the point that is parallel to the 1st line. In Hyperbolic Geometry, there are at least 2 distinct lines thru that point that are both parallel to the original line. In math speak, that means there are an infinite number of lines thru that point that are parallel to the line.
    Wha'd he say?

How fortunate we are to be able to hear a piece such as this, rendered so well. I can only shake my head and say "Wow!" Would that I could have such an imagination AND creativity AND the talent to bring it off.

Steve

Re: Hyperbolic Geometry

Hi Ron,

Ditto Steve (who is far, far too modest, by the way)... the rendering skills you're honing just serve to accentuate what we've come to expect from you: highly creative, quirky while extremely musical, and unique works. No exception here.

I continue to be a huge rolifer fan!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Wha'd he say?

How fortunate we are to be able to hear a piece such as this, rendered so well. I can only shake my head and say "Wow!" Would that I could have such an imagination AND creativity AND the talent to bring it off.

Steve
    Steve

I have listened to enough of your music to know for a fact that you have such an imagination AND creativity AND the talent to bring it off as well and do so each time you compose.

I think that the best compliment is when I get a WOW. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it makes my day. Thank you sir!!

Danny

I have been playing with the new library lately and it is forcing me to learn Sonar better. I think that that is why I am getting better with the rendering with GPO as well. Because of this, I am understanding how all these things work now too. I went back tonight and read some of the GPO book and actually understood a lot of it this time.

Thanks guys

It means a lot when composers such as you 2 take the time to say such nice words about my music.

Ron

A slap on the back, Ron, for getting in there
    and doing the hard work of learning your tools
    and the elements of craft in rendering.

This is an ongoing process, my friend; and it
    takes grit and determination sometimes to stay
    at it until you get the results you want...
    something I still sweat profusely over with every
    single piece, myself (often with mixed results,
    I must note).

A point I try to bring home frequently is that
    learning to effectively use this technology needs
    to be viewed and treated much like learning
    to play a traditional instrument. It takes
    practice and persistence and self-application;
    different in manner from, say, learning to become
    a good pianist; but very much the same in the
    depth of its demands.

Nice work on the re-rendering of this, Ron (though
    I thought the earlier rendering had merit, too).
    Perhaps we'll get to see the score, so we can
    further explore its connection to the hyperbolic
    branch of non-Euclidean geometries?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Great use of the two instruments - their interplay works wonderfully well. The exchanges of motives, the outbursts of dialogue highlight each in a very special way. It's amazing to think that the violin was "grafted" on, so to speak - it sounds so organic, as though it were there from the first note of conception. The dynamic range is also very well done. It must have been a lot of work, but the results have paid off in a worthy rendering.

Great job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

David

I put a link to the score in the 1st thread. The piano is done automatically by Sibelius when I play, so there is a ton of weird stuff going on.

The more I get into this, the more work it becomes. A piece that used to take an hour to do, now takes days to get right. But the final (if that exists) product is worth the extra work.

What I hope you see in the score is the parallel lines are there, yet don't quite look parallel. I did try to sneak in a few Hyperbolas as well, but they are harder to see.

Ron

I couldn't guess the amount of time I have spent on this piece. I keep coming back to it and tweaking the rendering over and over. But I know there is a substantial amount of time I have invested in this one.

When I played the piano in this, I knew that I was playing one half of the duet, but had no clue what instument was going to be the other half, nor what its paert was going to be. But I have been very happy with the outcome.

Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Ron

Go Back to forum