• Register
  • Help

Topic: Emulating Lexicon 1980s reverb with Samplicity?

Share/Bookmark

Emulating Lexicon 1980s reverb with Samplicity?

I'd like to make a cover version of Depeche Mode's "A Question of Lust", and therefore I am wondering if the Samplicity IRs somehow can be used to emulate the characteristic sound of the 1980s Lexicon reverb?

I can't remember if it's called Lexicon PCM-91 or what, but it's the reverb you can hear in many places such as on Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration" from 1986 and George Michael's "Listen Without Prejudice" from 1987, to mention a few.

I used Voxengo Pristine Space with Samplicity.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Henrik

Re: Emulating Lexicon 1980s reverb with Samplicity?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikBJ View Post
    I'd like to make a cover version of Depeche Mode's "A Question of Lust", and therefore I am wondering if the Samplicity IRs somehow can be used to emulate the characteristic sound of the 1980s Lexicon reverb?

I can't remember if it's called Lexicon PCM-91 or what, but it's the reverb you can hear in many places such as on Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration" from 1986 and George Michael's "Listen Without Prejudice" from 1987, to mention a few.
    Lexicon PCM-91 impulse responses can be found here:

http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?o...t&cat=7&page=2
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Sorry for the bad news, but most free impulses on NoiseVault are pretty useless. I have analyzed several of them when doing the preparations for my first project, and the "internals" of the free (read nonprofessional/hobbyist) IRs look and sound bad.

Do you guys think there would be interest in professional IRs from the 91? I always thought that the most expensive units would be the most interesting to be "re-created" with proper sweeping, editing and post-processing. But maybe I could make a lib with several more vintage or even legacy units.

Curious about your ideas!

Peter

PS: Henrik, I don't know the recording you mention, but can you send me a good mp3 by email (peter at peterroos dot com), which is IMO not illegal, as its only for listening along with you - I don't like Depeche Mode myself.

Maybe I can give you tips on which presets might work from your library.

George Michael has always used a very special plate-like reverb on his vocals, which stresses the "s" frequencies. Weird, but very characteristic! (I like it).
    Last edited by PeterRoos; 05-21-2008 at 11:39 AM.

I don't like Depeche Mode myself
    Tsk, tsk!

- In a second, I will mail you a MP3-snip with a few seconds of DM's "A question of lust". The sound I'm after is the reverb tail after each tambourine-hit.

I experimented with the Samplicity IRs and found a way to get a sound close to that, though. I use two reverbs one after another - first one uses the L96 Recital IRs, second one the L96 Big Empty Church IRs. You can hear the result in the song "Lust" here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/HenrikBJ

About IRs from vintage reverb units, I would definitely be interested. But in general, perhaps such impulses would be more geared towards creators of pop music than to creators of symphonic music?

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

Best regards,
    Henrik

PS. Yes I noticed that about George Michael also! A very creative use of reverb, I like it too.

Go Back to forum