• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Cubase Studio 4 HELP needed......

Share/Bookmark

Cubase Studio 4 HELP needed......

I have upgraded from my old (obsolete) Cubasis VST 4 to Cubase Studio 4. I find I am at the start of a learning curve, back to square 1 as it were, as everything seems to be done differently! I can't use my old .all files. Also when I import a midi file I am having trouble assigning the GPO instruments to the various midi tracks. Can anyone help here - I need step-by-step instructions, as my skill and knowhow is limited. Or is there a tutorial dealing with these issues for GPO/Cubase Studio 4? I would be grateful for any help.....
    Many thanks
    Eugene

Re: Cubase Studio 4 HELP needed......

I don't have GPO, but I do have JABB and I made the switch from Cubasis VST4 to Cubase SX3 about 2 years ago. I've never used Cubase 4 (and its various relatives like the Studio version) but from what I've seen in tutorials it seems to still share a lot with SX3. I can open .all files in SX3, but it is not done through the "File / Open" menu item, it is done through the "File / Import" item. From there you can import a "Cubase song" which is a .all file. On my system, this works pretty smoothly and I was able to bring my Cubasis VST4 projects into SX3 without too much pain. Does C4 Studio have this import functionality?

One thing that took me some time when I made the change over from VST4 to SX3 was the fact that Cubasis VST4 pretty much automatically connected all the program's logical inputs and outputs to the computer's physical inputs and outputs. Once VST4 was installed, it was pretty much ready to make sounds. SX3 is not automatic and will not make sounds until the user sets up the VST connections. In SX3 (and maybe Cubase Studio 4 too?) this has to be done manually in the "Devices / VST Connections" menu. This menu item is quite powerful and versatile, but like all powerful, versatile things, it takes a moment to learn how to use it right. Until you get your VST connections set-up, you can't really hear anything in SX3 regardless of whether it is GPO or any other virtual instrument or audio file. Maybe part of your issues come from that? Have you checked your VST Connections setting (assuming that it is the same as in SX3)?

Assigning midi instruments (like JABB or GPO) in SX3 is very similar to how it was done in Cubasis VST4: load the virtual instrument in the virtual instrument management window, create a midi track and assign the output of that midi track to the virtual instrument remembering to also have the midi channel on the track in agreement with the midi channel on the virtual instrument. After that, in SX3, one is ready to go. Unfortunately, it sounds like this might have changed in C4, since you are having trouble with it.

If you like, I can post some screen shots from SX3. I know somethings have changed from SX3 to C4 but I've found that most of the C4 tutorials on the web translate very well to SX3 so let me know if you think that might be useful. Sorry that I can't be more helpful as I don't have C4, but if some of what I mentioned above sounds right, then maybe I will be able to help a little bit.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

I ve got JABB and Cubase 4. Ill get back to you later if you're still stuck, its not actually much different from before.

First you can not open .all files in Cubase 4. If you've got VST then you will have to save them as .mid files and load them that way. Or if you can find a version of Cubase SX3 then this will load them and convert them to .cpr files which you can then load in 4. This is a pain but there is no work around that I know of.

You didn't explain the problem with midi files. If they're your own files you will know which track is which, if they're import you will need to find out what sound is meant to be on each track. If you load the file and set the tracks to GM then the expected sound will play on that track. You can then set the sounds in GPO.

I understand that JABB and GPO are pretty much the same. Start a new project, import the midi file. You should have track for each sound being played. Now start GPO - go to VST instruments F11 - load an instance of GPO - latest revision using Kontakt player.

Go to first midi track, in the inspector, set the playback to Kontakt and check the channel number, probably 1 but the midi import may have been set differently.

Click on the edit instrument button ( looks like a little cage ) this opens the
    GPO again. Load the sound required for the first track, make sure that the sound is set to the right output and track (midi channel and output shown on left of main box).

If you now start playback this first track will should play.

Now you must repeat this for all the other tracks. Pick the sound, fit it to the track. Of course if you have a multi then you can load this however I dont think GPO sets the tracks in GM order so you have to set the tracks manually. Once saved as a .cpr file, the tracks in GPO will reload properly next time around.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Little Red King and Buckshead for coming back so quickly with help. First of all I can't import .all files, so I will have to import midi and remix etc., but I can live with that, as I still have the old Cubasis VST4 installed. In studio 4 I have imported a midi file containing 4 tracks, and have loaded 4 GPO instruments into Kontakt player in slots 1 - 4 , and selected Personal Orchestra for "output routing" and "all midi instruments" for "input routing" assigning 1,2,3 and 4 to the midi tracks. I can hear the GPO instruments but all are centred in mono sound. If I select 1/2. 3/4. 5/6 and 7/8 in Kontakt to send the sounds to different channels in the mixer, I only can hear the first instrument, although all look like they are playing, and the leds flash for all. If instead they are all set to 1/2 I can hear them all in mono. I am probably doing something silly, but I had no problem with the simpler VST4 - the more complicated Studio 4 has more options, and makes it easier for me to go wrong!

If you have selected "Personal Orchestra" in output routing I assume that you have not upgraded to Kontakt Player2 as this will now select as such in output routing. for this upgrade best check the Garritan site - its free. It means reregistering with NI but I think its worthwhile. See previous posts on the forum.

I put all my sounds through just the first output, there seems no point in mixing in Kontakt when the Cubase mixer follows it but thats you're option. There are so many routes it is hard to choose between them.

I've been playing around with the controls trying to see where your problem might be. Open the mixer F3 above the slider is a box "Stereo In " above "Stereo Out". OR does it state "left" or "right" in this box. That could be the problem, the Cubase mixer is running on mono.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    If you have selected "Personal Orchestra" in output routing I assume that you have not upgraded to Kontakt Player2 as this will now select as such in output routing. for this upgrade best check the Garritan site - its free. It means reregistering with NI but I think its worthwhile. See previous posts on the forum.
    Hello Buckshead, thanks for your reply. I am running the original Kontakt player that came with GPO a few years ago. When in the same project I run JABB, which has a different and more recent Kontakt player, I get stereo straight away. So it looks like the old Kontakt player , which gave stereo with Cubasis VST 4, only gives mono with Cubase Studio 4! In which case I suppose I need to upgrade to Kontakt 2; what I am wondering will this cause me more problems, i.e. are all the bugs fixed? Also any idea if the Kontakt 2 upgrade is still available?

Hi Eugene,

try the following http://www.garritan.com/Kontakt2PlayerUpdate.html

It gives you the update to Kontakt2Player. This is a modified version of Kontakt that runs the Garritan libraries. Read the manual because there are some changes but nothing difficult. I find it a lot better than the original player and I had no trouble logging in to NI and getting it all working in about 20 min (including the downloads etc)

As its Sunday there's chat tonight and you could try asking the guys present their opinions. It starts about 8 pm my local time thats British Summer time.

Hi Buckshead. Thanls for link. I downloaded and installed Kontakt 2. Selecting Personal Orchestra VST gives me the old Kontakt player, so I select instead "Kontakt 2" which is listed, and load the instruments from there. Right? I have 2 questions - how do I unload an instrument? Also how do I get sound? The leds are flashing , so there is something happening, but there is some setup step I missed, because no sound emerges! These are teething troubles, sorry to be such a nuisance, but if you can help I will be grateful
    Eugene

Its easy to un load an instrument from KontaktPlayer2, top X box in the top corner.

I'm unsure why you've got no sound. You've set the output routing to KontaktPlayer 2. Have you set the channel numbers to the corresponding numbers on the instruments, Does the midi channel output say A then the number - there are four different ports that might show, they don't all work on all sound cards, Are you playing usable notes, not too high or low?

I think there must be something simple that is missing but Im not sure what

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast