• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Showpiece of Garritan instruments

Showpiece of Garritan instruments

A little while ago I was having a problem getting a virtuoso performance out of a few Garritan instruments. The staff very kindly helped me figure out why it wasn't working (latency). So, in order to test it out, I wrote a very short little showpiece (45 seconds) which I called "Scherzetto". It's just a bit of fun to show off a Garritan orchestra that is playing a barn-burner of a piece, with pretty much everything but the kitchen sink.

You can hear it here:

Short and sweet. Hope it sounds good to you all...

PS There are many more of my Garritan recordings here (www.glennfinnanscores.com).

South of the Ohio River

Re: Showpiece of Garritan instruments

What fun! Thanks.
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Wow, Glenn, what a sizzling hot ride this is!
    Excellent job on it.

I believe this is the first post to the Listening
    Room I've heard from you -- and what a superb
    introduction of your work it is.

Welcome aboard!

I do have on thing further to add:

My best,

Indeed a lot of fun ! I enjoyed this a lot, thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thanks to all who listened and like the piece. It was definitely fun to write. It's kind of nice to be able to hear a piece like this in your head, and then make it happen on your own, when you can't afford to hire a 100-piece orchestra...

Great first post. What ever latency problems you were having are obviously solved now.

Well done

Bellingham, WA

Outstanding! Please share those latency settings with me. If you get bored, we can share learning new things stories.
    sos (Steve)

Hi, Steve (and everyone):

Thanks to all for the great feedback. I had kept intending to post a piece for the Garritan community to hear, and kept procrastinating, but I'm glad I did it.

I don't know how much I can help with the latency issue, since it probably works differently for everybody based on your sound card, and recording program, but here are the basics from my situation.

I created the MIDI file in Finale, and then recorded it using Cakewalk Home Studio. For my taste, I record every track (which in this piece was a lot of tracks) separately. I feel it gives me the most mixing control later to have the ability to manipulate levels (it's time-consuming, but for me, it's worth it, and besides, then I know that I have recorded great takes of each part, it's just a question of balancing them all together).

Where I had been having probelms was in the "buffer size" in the audio settings in Home Studio (HS). For mixing I leave the setting at 100 miliseconds, and I had been recording at that level, too. I was finding that some of the instruments worked fine at this level, but some (piccolo in particular) would just have "gaps" in their playback (not typical dropouts, just "empty spaces"). Thanks to some advice from the Garritan forum, I reduced the HS audio buffer size to 30 msec., and now everything is good to go.

I hope this either helps some other home-recorders or gives them a kind of starting place to look into if they are also having problems.

Oh, and here's another VERY short sample (only 21 seconds) from a film I did a couple years ago. This is for "circus" band, so there aren't any strings, and the saxophone is from the Garritan Jazz and Big Band set. It's really short, so it won't take a lot of time to get through, but it's fun.

Wilton, NH

What a fun couple of pieces (including the circus one). Fantastic job on the little scherzo. The rendering is very well done on both.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast